Wimpy has a new job

Congrats @Wimpy :tada:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. For me, thereā€™s no easy way to work for a Linux vendor, since I donā€™t live near one. I agree that there would be some sacrifices.

1 Like

Congrats on the new job and again thanks for all the work thats been put into making Ubuntu-MATE a great system.

5 Likes

Hearty congratulations on your new job. Canonical is lucky to get you.

3 Likes

Congrats Wimpy Iā€™m sure you are very excited with your new venture I wish you all the best and I hope Ubuntu mate stays at the top of your to do list

4 Likes

@Wimpy,

Congratulations Martin!

I think your ability to be a leader will be useful to Canonical.
Surely you will leave your footprint in both the unity and mate projects, and you will make them better and better thanks to your vision.

Good luck! Regards

4 Likes

Congratulations Wimpy!
The right man for the right place at the right time.:grin:

3 Likes

Install Unity tweak and you can pretty much have as many workspaces as you need by setting the options in there.

2 Likes

Congratulations to @Wimpy for getting your dream job. I wish you good luck in your new job. :tada: :tada: :tada:

Also, many thanks to you for all the work you have already done for the awesome projects like MATE, Ubuntu MATE etc.

4 Likes

Congratulations and best of luck in your new job!!!

4 Likes

Congrats! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

congrats Martin, you deserve it for sure.

4 Likes

Congrats, Martin! :fireworks:

See what happens when youā€™re good? To play on an old quote of yours, I plan to now call Jono Bacon ā€œThe poor manā€™s Martin Wimpress.ā€ (is he chuckling? :grin:)

3 Likes

Congrats Martin!

(Awhile back on the the Linux Unplugged show you mentioned purchasing a couple Dell Sputnikā€™s, in addition to your stable of Thinkpadā€™s. Any thoughts on the new machines and what rig do you reach for as your main dev machine?)

4 Likes

@Bill_MI Well, it made me chuckle :joy:

@anon4084413 When travelling, the Dell XPS 13. Without doubt. Light, powerful, small, excellent battery endurance and I have the Power Companion to boot that.

The Dell XPS 15, Entroware Apollo, Entroware Athena and Skull Canyon NUC will all be used for development/testing while at home. As Iā€™m going to work from home now Iā€™m setting up a system where my development environment is synced to all computers so I can pick up and computer, go the any room and immediately continue with what I was working on.

6 Likes

Congrats Mr. Wimpy.
Looking forward to see great improvements to Ubuntu Desktop as a whole.

5 Likes

From the bottom of my heart, congratulations, @Wimpy. Youā€™re not only a great project leader, but also a very nice person. I listen to the Ubuntu Podcast every week, and Iā€™m amazed at how you guys can know so much about technology and be so nice at the same time. I wish you the best. You deserve it.

4 Likes

Let me know how the XPS 15 works out. I have the XPS 13 and was thinking of upgrading. Only problem is battery life is a lot better on the XPS 13.

2 Likes

I know I am late as I didnā€™t log in for a few days, but still wanted to say congratulations WImpy!

Ubuntu MATE is the best desktop Linux distro period. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for this vision of Linux and am sure being part of the official Canonical team will only help.

5 Likes

Congratulations! See? They said youā€™d never get anywhere fooling around with Linux. They were wrong. :slight_smile:

4 Likes