Windows Classic Document and "Favorite" menus

I have a confession to make. I love Windows’ classic menus. The Windows XP box might sit in the corner of the study gathering dust, but I still yearn for her menus. At work, where we are forced to use Windows 7, I managed to slip a copy of Windows Classic Shell under the IT department’s radar. At home, where the active machines are all running various shades of *buntu, there does not seem to be a Classic Shell equivalent; unless you are about to enlighten me (?)

The best classic Document menu was actually Windows 2000’s, which revealed recently opened items but with access to the equivalent of the home folder by expanding menu if you could not see what you wanted.

The classic “Favorite” menu gave access to the internet bookmark tree.

Are either of these possible in Ubuntu MATE?

Desktop search has its place but the complete withdrawal of these menus was IMHO a mistake.

Oh, and these are about the only features of Windows I miss.

1 Like

Hi @Coinneach,

I found something for W7, I have not tried it btw!:

Thanks Wolfman

It’s the classic menus I seek, probably in vain.

I don’t know of any “Start” themes either. Seems to be a all or nothing deal.

I can really only recommend the Zorin OS theme as it has W7 menu as one of its desktops!. :smiley: I don’t know if it will work on Ubuntu Mate/Ubuntu?. :confused:

Found this:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101646&p=12615437#post12615437

"1. Right-click on an empty area of the desktop.

1. Click “Create URL Link”.

2. Paste the URL from the web page in the URL field.

3. Give it a name.

4. Voila, it’s done. Same procedure as with Windows."

… but it doesn’t work on the MATE or Unity desktops and none of my machines are currently running Xubuntu.

Had it worked it might have been the first stage in replicating Redmond’s “Favorites” menu.

Welcome back :slight_smile:

Post #2 in that thread.

#!/bin/sh
firefox news.bbc.co.uk

That will create a desktop launcher. R-click and use “Create Launcher”. Is that something you can use?

There must be an easier way!!

Sorry, that sounds ungrateful.

Thank you!