Windows maximize 'under' panels

Hello all, and thank you for this wonderful community. I have an issue with UM 18.04 that may or may not be related to an old bug. My problem is when using an external monitor stacked on top of my laptop monitor, applications maximize behind the panel. Any fix is usually only temporary. I believe it is related to the following issues below.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1543642
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1760929

My setup is a Thinkpad T480, i5-8250U, Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620, UM 18.04, HDMI Connected Monitor, Window Manager: Macro (Adaptive compositor). I do not see that any of the above items have been reported as fixed. I just wanted to see if this was the same bug under UM 18.04. Would changing the Window Manager help in any way? Thank you for any info/help.

Long Live Ubuntu Mate!

,Ash

Hey there. As far as I understand it, changing window managers would probably not help as the actual issue is with the panel. Basically, when the panel is “between” two screens/monitors, it fails to reserve size for itself. Funfact: the xfce-panel has the exact same issue and kde/plasma had the same issue also until 5.8.

The only workaround I know of would be placing the virtual monitors in a way that the panels is not in between them. Of course you can still try whether switching window managers changes something.

This is a longstanding bug, and as mentioned by @mowalle, it’s not entirely exclusive to MATE. To fix it requires that the panel is aware of its coordinates with regards to multiple monitors, rather than just the current one, and create struts in those positions to push windows out of its way.

It’s not exactly rocket science (although you could argue that rocket science is easier than navigating the mate-panel source code), but it’s also not obvious how to fix without causing undesirable side effects…

I think that based on the number of users affected by this (myself included), it’s becoming a very visible issue and so something will have to be done pretty soon about this.

Hello vkareh I thought I recognized your name from the github page. I’m glad to see that its getting more attention! Thank you for all you do for the community!

1 Like