Wine 2.0 released

Hi all,

any one that uses Wine can now get the latest version (2.0). :smiley:

EDIT: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PACKAGE AS IT HAS CAUSED PROBLEMS FOR ME AND DOESNā€™T SEEM TO WORK ON MY RIG!. (Ubuntu Mate 16.04 - 64 Bit) :smiley: YOU MUST DECIDE IF IT IS FOR YOU!. :smiley:

@stevecook172001 has had/is having problems too!. :frowning:

However; @maximuscore reported being more successful!:

Looks something went wrong thereā€¦ I did not encounter this issue myself - the package is properly at version 2.0 it runs just fine. However, I did not have wine installed before.

A SOMEWHAT LENGTHY GUIDE HERE (READ IT ALL!):

http://www.tecmint.com/install-wine-on-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/

5 Likes

I have just uninstalled my existing wine and installed the new one, from the ā€œomgubuntuā€ link via the ppa they gave

Immediately following installation my network keeps dropping out (both wi-fi and ethernet) and it has to be restarted two or three time before it works. I rebooted and the problem is persisting. I have no idea what is it as nothing is being reported as a problem. It has just come back on now, allowing me to post this.

The two things may be unrelated, but the one definitely immediately followed the other and so I thought I should mention it

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I cannot reproduce your problem, I installed it on my notebook with WiFi and it is running fine!, did you do any updates recently?. :smiley:

Did you use the following terminal commands or did you build your own?:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install winehq-devel

1 Like

Yes, those are the commands I used. I should say, I have now had my machine rebooted for a couple of hours and the network problem seems to have stopped. So, it may just have been a coincidence.

There is another problem though. Wine does not appear to have actually installed, although it went through the installation precess without a hitch. There is no Wine entry in my menu and I cannot open any windows executable.

I will try and reinstall

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

I see what you mean now, I just took a look at Wine in my menu, it shows okay but when I start Wine Config, it shows ver 1.6.2?:

I installed the package "wine-devel" but the wine Config window still shows ver 1.6.2?:

So I am wondering as to whether or not I should remove the package "wine1.6" ?. :confused:

Looks something went wrong thereā€¦ I did not encounter this issue myself - the package is properly at version 2.0 it runs just fine.
However, I did not have wine installed before, but the wine-development version which was a 1.9.something snapshot which can be installed in parallel to wine (and has different executable names).
So maybe it works better if you remove the old wine 1.6 installation first, then add the ppa and install 2.0.

Thatā€™s exactly what i did

Hi Steve,

I gave up after trying a few different approaches like removing Wine 1.6 etc. :frowning:

Hi Wolfman. I too have had significant problems. I eventually did a complete purge of any and all files relating to Wine. Then, re-installed the standard version in the repos. However, although it is working again, it no longer appears in my main menu and I cannot for the life of me get that menu entry restored. This is not a massive deal since I can still install files and can still load the config with winecfg from a terminal.

1 Like

Hi Steve,

yes; I noticed that there were nearly all the menu entries missing in the main menu, I gave up anyway and posted an edit in the original thread starter recommending not to use the upgrade!. :smiley:

2 Likes

You should install the winehq-wine-devel package, which will install the latest development version of Wine system-wide. You cannot have the regular wine (1.6) installed at the same time, so this will be removed.

Iā€™ve been using the official Wine PPA for ages, and havenā€™t had any problems with it. I donā€™t see the Wine entry in the Applications menu, but I never accessed Wine via that anyway. I guess itā€™s a perk of being a development version.

See this guide I wrote a while back:

1 Like

I uninstalled and purged the existing wine before installing the one you mention. It didnā€™t stop it being a pile of crap I am afraid. Loads of stuff not installed that I had to install after the fact. Plus the main menu entries of Wine all gone. After uninstalling it and purging it and re-installing the repo version, the menu entries are still gone. But, at least it is working again now

Hi
I had wine installed, added the repo as per the web page and installed as per the web page. Yes - wine items vanished from the menu but my use is very simple. Installed the application I needed and all working OK for me.
Regards Zebā€¦

Hi Luke,

the link I posted originally is supposed to be a stable version, I like a lot of others would want the menu entries to show up.

I gave up on the project anyway as it is supposed to be a case of install and forget!. :confused:

Also, a lot of people are having problems if you look through the comments at OMG Ubuntu!:

@ZebedeeBoss,

what does ā€œAbout Wineā€ say? (what version is showing), mine was showing version 1.6 and did you uninstall all of Wine before you started?. :smiley:

@wolfman
Sorry no idea how to get that up, there is nothing in the menu, however,

zebedee@i7-mate:~$ wine --version
wine-2.0
zebedee@i7-mate:~$

edit: found it - winecfg
http://storage3.static.itmages.com/i/17/0128/h_1485593143_1106874_a14a78f06e.png

Regards Zebā€¦

1 Like

im using multiple wine version. Im using wineprefix. (playonlinux)