Wine for Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Been trying for months to download wine on my mate 18.04 but all the links i find are dead. Is there any substitute to wine because i’d like to run some windows applications on this machine. Thanks

Have you tried running from the terminal: sudo apt install wine-stable ?

You can either use the wine package that is in the Ubuntu repos (but it’s quite old), or you can use the dedicated repo from the Wine team (instructions here).

The latter is recommended, as you’ll have up to date versions. From the WineHQ repo, you can install one version out of three:

• stable: the current stable version, quite old (might be the same version in the Ubuntu repos);
  • development: up to date version, frequently updated and thus can have new bugs introduced (and fixed) more often;
  • Staging: same as the development version but with specific unofficial patches that are useful (and sometimes required) for some games but could cause issues is other apps/games.

If you need Wine for gaming, I’d recommend using the Staging branch. If it is for various apps, probably try Staging too (or devel) but if you run into issues, try the stable version.

Yes i have and the link is dead.

Why do you mean by that? You get a message from APT saying it can’t find the package? If so, have you checked that the Ubuntu repos are still enabled?

It looks like the Wine project is once again late to the party with their Ubuntu repositories.
There are no builds for cosmic (18.10) at the moment, for 18.04 it also took them quite a while until they finally provided builds for that one.
Maybe you can try using the bionic repo for the time being.

It looks like the Wine project is once again late to the party with their Ubuntu repositories.
There are no builds for cosmic (18.10) at the moment, for 18.04 it also took them quite a while until they finally provided builds for that one.

You can still use the 18.04 repo on 18.10. As long as the dependencies haven’t changed between two versions, the codename doesn’t matter.

Maybe you can try using the bionic repo for the time being.

Apparently, @Gerhard_Imieh is on bionic (18.04) so there should be no issue. But as it seems he can’t install Wine from the Ubuntu repos, it’s possible that some of them are disabled.

I installed Wine using these LinuxConfig instructions.. It worked, but I did have some errors with libpng12-0. See my thread here. I did correct the problem by installing libpng12-0.

have you tried play on linux ?

POL can install and manage several versions of Wine but it still needs to have a default Wine version installed (the package has a dependency on wine).

Gerhard, I think you need to explain what you mean by “all the links are dead” I just followed the above instructions and it worked fine.