WINE on Ubuntu 17.10

Hi
Very much a Linux newbie who relies on what I can find online. I tried installing current WINE from WineHQ and seemed to get through most of the install before it failed because of a missing file (I think). I did put in a bug report based on my very limited knowledge and ability. Others have told me that WINE should be available in the Software Boutique but I can’t find it when I search there. Can anyone tell me, for sure, what is the best way to install WINE in Ubuntu 17.10. Anyone wanting to help may need to give very specific instructions lol.
Thanks
Michael

The best way is indeed throught WineHQ, which provides a PPA for Ubuntu with (more or less) up to date versions. It’s also in the Ubuntu repos and should show in the Software Boutique but it’s only the stable version from last october, so it’s pretty outdated.

How did you try to install it from WineHQ and what’s this missing file you’re talking about?

Ugh… that’s a hard question… but I did fill in a bug request that related to that particular file. It wasn’t the only bug request re that file based on what I saw filling it out. But, I honestly can’t remember what it was other than it was one of the 386 (?) ones which I assume is to do with 32 bit files. And, it happened pretty much toward the end of the process (at least I think so anyway). All I did was follow a process that I saw online and which pretty much took me through the process from the WineHQ Ubuntu download set up.

To be honest, I’m not sure that I need the latest and greatest Wine version anyway. It is only a small graphics Windows application (it’s a dog agility course design program) that an OS friend on another distro set up on his own computer trying to help me. I did try finding WINE in the boutique but it always said there was nothing there when I did a search. I did enable the canonical repo someone told me I should enable if that helps. I have tried to refresh (?) the repos but for some reason it isn’t working and they won’t download on my system. My system does seem to have issues lol. It’s kind of new (Ryzen, NVIDIA1060, M.2 SSD, Broadcom wi-fi as well as ethernet). I can’t seem to make my new Brother printer work either… it’s been a ‘wonderful’ day lol.

Sorry I can’t be of much help, but I’m a real newbie with both Linux and computers so I’m kind of struggling a bit. I just want to get away from Windows… and I WILL one day lol.

Cheers
Michael

Ok, we’ll check this more thoroughly. First, open a terminal and give me the output of the following command:

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

(Note that ctrl + C and ctrl + V won’t work in the terminal, as they have a specific purpose in it. Once you have selected the output text, either use shift + ctrl + C to copy it, or right click and choose Copy.)

Also open the following file will Pluma and paste its content here:

pluma /etc/apt/sources.list

The goal of these is to check if you’ve added a repository from WineHQ to your sources.

Umm... I know how to take screenshots - is that okay? I tried PoL in case it pulled WINE dependencies with it... but it didn't lol.

Hope this actually shows lol.
Michael

Nothing there, so give me the content of the sources.list I asked in my previous message (the command with pluma).

Hmmm - because I’m new it wouldn’t let me publish the response because it had more than 2 links. here is the bit from terminal for starters, perhaps I’ll need to break the pluma stuff into sections of two links at a time?

** (pluma:16155): WARNING **: Could not load Pluma repository: Typelib file for namespace ‘Pluma’, version ‘1.0’ not found

Cheers
Michael

Okay - broke it into two screenshots, but I'm only allowed to post one at a time (sigh lol). Here goes - number 1 lines 1 to 30:

Next bit to follow soonest.
Michael

Part 2 - lines 31 to 53 (or something):

Cheers
Michael

For text, don’t post screenshots, you can copy and paste it. It’s easier and more readable. Select you text, copy it (ctrl + C or, if in a terminal shift + ctrl + C) and paste it on the forum (ctrl + V). No need to do it for the previous messages, of course, but for the next ones, it’ll be better.

Anyway, you added the WineHQ repository, so thus far, it’s fine.

Now, tell me if despite the error you first mentioned, Wine is kind of installed: does the following command work?

wine --version

In any case, which version of Wine did you try to install? Did you try to install the wine, winehq-stable, winehq-devel or winehq-staging package?

It says wine 3.0, which would make sense because I went for stable not the next level up.

Are you saying it’s actually there despite the error message I got that cut things short?

Michael

It seems so but it’s hard to tell if it’s been installed correctly without having the exact error message you got.

Anyway, tell me which package you tried to install exactly when you followed instructions on WineHQ: was it “winehq-stable” or “wine”?

Also, give me the output of the following command to check what has been installed:

dpkg -l | grep wine
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ dpkg -l | grep wine
ii  wine-stable                           3.0.0~artful                             amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-amd64                     3.0.0~artful                             amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-i386:i386                 3.0.0~artful                             i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winehq-stable                         3.0.0~artful                             amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs

That’s the output, and I would have said winehq-stable because that’s what I thought I was trying to download in the first place. It didn’t seem to just offer wine 3.0 or anything.

Do you realize I only learned how to type that vertical bar a day or so ago :slight_smile: It made me smile when you put that command there lol.

So, I’m guessing I am probably good to go? I’m sorry I can’t tell you exactly what was in the bug report - do you have access to them at all? It is the first time I’ve even done one of those lol.

Cheers
Michael

It might have been WINE 3.0rc1 (?) maybe that was the actual link on the site. But as I said I chose stable not the development one.

I hope I’m not making this even harder for you just because I can’t remember everything… I know I am getting better at this, but it is still all so new to me coming over from Windows after all these years.

Cheers
Michael

I was asking because the “regular” Wine that is in the Ubuntu repos is installed through the “wine” package, while the versions from WineHQ are “winehq-stable”, “winehq-devel” (development version) and “winehq-staging” (a special version of the development one with specific patches included). I wanted to be sure that you indeed installed a version from WineHQ as both sources could have conflicts.

Now, we’ll uninstalled it and reinstall it to be sure that it’s ok or see what error message you get. If you have a link to the bug report, it can be handy too.

So, first, let’s uninstall:

sudo apt-get remove --purge wine-stable wine-stable-amd64 wine-stable-i386:i386 winehq-stable

Then, reinstall it and give me the output you get:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

OMG… you want me to uninstall what’s there… even though it might actually be OK??? LOL.

No worries boss… give me a few minutes or even more lol.

Umm… just a thought… will I be able to use apt-get? I thought you had to install synaptic to use that command… which I haven’t done. I might wait on your response to this before I go crazy uninstalling everything lol.

Cheers
Michael

I couldn’t find WINE in the repos when I searched for it, otherwise I would’ve used that one. I seem to have an issue with refreshing (?) the repos on here even though the boutique itself opens up just fine and has some offerings… like PoL etc.

I have emails back from Ubuntu but it’s about registration and stuff but not about a bug report. Is there anyway I can track the bug report from here for you? I’m pretty sure I put the same username and password in for the report as I did when I registered here.

Michael

APT is the package manager used by Debian and its derivatives (like Ubuntu). The command line interface (apt-get or apt commands) are installed from the beginning, you don’t have to worry about it. :wink:

BTW, I assume you used apt-get to to install winehq-stable from the beginning, right? If no, i’m not sure how you installed Wine in the first place.

On top of that, there are various GUI that are more user-friendly and use APT behind the scenes. Synaptic is one, the MATE Software Boutique is one. Even the Updates manager that you may have seen pop from time to time is only a GUI that uses APT.

You can install Synaptic if you like but until the issue is fixed, we’ll use the command line, as it gives more complete informations.

Ok, I think I start to understand what happened. I though you opened a bug report on the WineHQ website (and so would have a link) but I guess you rather had a crash which opened a window offering to send a bug report, is that it? If so, it was Apport, the crash manager included in Ubuntu. And in that case, it might not have anything to do with the installation of Wine (but uninstall and reinstall it anyway as I asked, just to be sure). Also, the bug reports from Apport are made on Launchpad, a website managed by Canonical (developer of Ubuntu). You need an account to report a bug there AFAIK, so I guess that the mail you got is simply an automatic reply asking you to register for a Launchpad account because there wasn’t one when Apport tried to report the crash.

I also had my fun installing WineHQ. Wine installed via Software Boutique (sometimes in the past) worked perfectly (some version 2.x). But then I wanted the development version of Wine 3 and finished with a total mess. Installation via Synaptic Package Manager did not work for me. Neither did the installation via the Ubuntu repos.

I (almost) always write down everything including commands, links, etc. for the case I need to perform some operations again. It saves a lot of time. And here it goes, this is the way I proceed to install Wine:

First of all, make sure you uninstall Wine older versions (or versions that are “installed” but not working):

sudo apt-get purge wine*

(make sure you use the “*” to get rid of all “wine” packages)

I’ve used following command:

sudo apt-get remove --purge wine*

(this will remove the packages / applications including the config files except for those saved in the home folder)

After removing the wine* packages, open https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu and follow the instructions there. Or use following commans in a Terminal (they are copied from the named Web page):

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
sudo apt-get update

Finally install this:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

or, if you want to experiment a little, this (I usually did not have any issues with previous development versions of Wine, but you never know):

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel

When you’re ready enter following command in a Terminal:

wine --version

It should output something like this: wine-3.0 if you installed the stable version.

To test my Wine installation I use Notepad++ from here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/repository/7.x/7.5.4/npp.7.5.4.Installer.exe or HeidiSQL from here: https://www.heidisql.com/installers/HeidiSQL_9.5.0.5196_Setup.exe

• download one of these on your disk / drive (or any other Windows program of your choice, a small one is recommended)
  • open the folder you’ve downloaded the .exe file into and double-click it (or right-click and from the pop-up menu select “Open with Wine Windows Program Loader”
  • it should open the Installer of the program

Disclaimer & Note: No, I do not want to make publicity for the two test programs I mentioned above. I use these programs but because they are so small I think they may be used for testing the Wine installation. Of course, you are free to use any other Windows program to test your Wine installation.

There may be other or better methods to install Wine and test the installation, this is the way I am doing it.

Observation: I wrote this just because the initial post states Anyone wanting to help may need to give very specific instructions lol.

1 Like
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  cabextract icoutils libmspack0 libwxbase3.0-0v5 libwxgtk3.0-0v5
  python-wxgtk3.0 python-wxversion
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libsane1:i386 wine-stable wine-stable-amd64 wine-stable-i386:i386
Suggested packages:
  hplip:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libsane1:i386 wine-stable wine-stable-amd64 wine-stable-i386:i386
  winehq-stable
0 to upgrade, 5 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 0 B/44.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 396 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Selecting previously unselected package wine-stable-amd64.
(Reading database ... 330129 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../wine-stable-amd64_3.0.0~artful_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wine-stable-amd64 (3.0.0~artful) ...
Selecting previously unselected package wine-stable-i386:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../wine-stable-i386_3.0.0~artful_i386.deb ...
Unpacking wine-stable-i386:i386 (3.0.0~artful) ...
Selecting previously unselected package wine-stable.
Preparing to unpack .../wine-stable_3.0.0~artful_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking wine-stable (3.0.0~artful) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libsane1_1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libsane1:i386 (1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2.1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libsane1_1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite shared '/lib/udev/hwdb.d/20-sane.hwdb', which is different from other instances of package libsane1:i386
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously unselected package winehq-stable.
Preparing to unpack .../winehq-stable_3.0.0~artful_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking winehq-stable (3.0.0~artful) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libsane1_1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2.1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ 

Not even sure this will go to you tonight - I just got told I’m over my message quota for a newbie! I deleted one message in case it will let me send this lol!

I’ll also try sending the message in an email to you in case it doesn’t go. No guarantee I guess the email will work either lol.

Clearly it DIDN’T go last night lol!

Cheers
Michael

PS. I’m going to apologize to radax05 as well while I’m here… all on the ONE response lol. The method he espouses is pretty much identical to the method that I found online that linked me to the Ubuntu WineHQ download section.

I have a friend in America (not using Ubuntu atm) who also found these links:

https://www.queryxchange.com/q/3_986634/error-when-trying-to-install-wine-in-ubuntu-17-10/
https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg5311394.html

It’s making me think that is probably a current 17.10 Ubuntu issue that nobody has got round to solving as yet. Obviously I’ll post this as soon as the Ubuntu forum system allows me to!