[Wishlist] - What would you like to see in future releases?

Caja file search include hidden folders and files.

I know mate-search-tool and good-old find works well for more advanced file searches but Caja’s simplified Search for Files... (Ctrl+F) is so convenient. But it lacks searching for hidden folders and files which Caja so easily displays.

Proposal
If, and only if, hidden folders and files are enabled in Caja (Ctrl+H toggle), include them in the file search. Ideally, results would also toggle with Ctrl+H.

6 Likes

That would be a nice feature to have @Bill_MI

Logout screen : an option to save the session, as in xfce

Panel : a weather plugin, I like the default but I can not choose my countries

Theme management : the ability to change some color, as it was in the past and how it is still in xfce or lxde. I like the default theme but not the green of the selected objects

1. Another vote on expanding the country list for the weather applet. Maybe a way to add sources or use OpenWeatherMap?

2. Caja having terminal support, and Miller Columns/Column View. The little bar that shows how much space is used on hard drives or certain folders like the one in Nemo would be nice too.

3. The indicators have some padding issues and it makes it look bad.

4. Maybe I’m blind, but is there a way to change the terminal’s prompt info (like change for example, cold@ubuntumate to hot@ubuntumate)?

5. A way to use websites for the lockscreen wallpaper

6. And since its a wish, a way to have a progress bar on applications downloading/doing stuff like
    steam or other programs. There were talks about on what one could do if they wanted to make an API of it, but dont think anyone has started something.

Yes, read this…

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizingBashPrompt

2 Likes

Well, look what I saw on the Linux Mint August news update:

Window progress is coming to Linux Mint 18.3. So far it is supported by Cinnamon and it was implemented in:

Nemo (file operations)
The Backup Tool
The Software Manager
The Driver Manager
The USB Stick formatter
The USB image writer

We’re also considering adding support for it in MATE, Caja and Synaptic (this includes all applications using Synaptic such as the Update Manager, the Language Settings and Software Sources tools, removal of applications from the menu etc etc…).

Any comment from your end @Wimpy? Would be amazing if its implemented. :slight_smile:

Also, would it be possible to add it to web browsers like firefox, chrome and game clients like steam, or is that more on their end?

@Cold What are you referring to exactly?

Check the “Window Progess” section of http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3329 .

I’d like to see an online storage syncing eg Google Drive, Dropbox… in Caja like in Nautilus :grinning:

All what I want is to have Mate 1.18 on my 16.04 LTS, because Mate 1.18 is already stable and should be integrated into LTS version. I really hate the process of following Ubuntu with those short release versions (non LTS versions), Mate should come with his own model of dev, for example one dev branch and another for LTS.

Like @maximuscore said, in the Window Progress section they mention that they are considering adding progress bar support for Mate. I was wondering if it was a cooperative effort between the Mint and Ubuntu Mate devs.

Cinnamon's progress bar example.

1 Like

FWIW the MATE Dock Applet (e.g. used in Mutiny) supports displaying progress bars (and numbered badges), but the only app that I see using them is the Software Updater.

(Ubuntu’s Firefox used to include a patch to support them for downloads, and someone made it into an extension, but it will stop working with Firefox 57 at the latest due to changes in Firefox’s extensions.)

I really hope that becomes an official feature of Firefox at some point, without the need for extensions.
Btw. Thunderbird on Ubuntu(-MATE) includes an extension that shows the number unread incoming messages and PSensor can also display a sensor value badge.

1. Option to choose desktop when switching applications in marco using Alt+Tab
  2. Caja - add gloobus-preview support
  3. Caja - tool panel - replace “view type chooser” with 3 buttons like in nemo
2 Likes

Eventually long term I would like

1. to have multiple styles for alt-tab window switching built into marco, at least marco compton
  2. I would also like to see hotcorners built in, and although maybe not enabled in the default profile, it could be enabled in profiles like mutiny or cupertino? where hotcorners were enabled
  3. I would like to see the Botique turn into more of a complete software “store”

Also I would like to see more office software available through the Botique like Open Office and my personal preference Softmaker Office

As well the hud display be available in user saved profiles rather than just defaults such as Mutiny

it would be nice for Software Botique results to come up in the search in the advanced menu

workspace switching similar to cinnamon or perhaps like xfdashboard without the applications would be very nice however I would be very happy with just hotcorners and edge flipping, as that is all i really need and can use compiz if I wanted more eyecandy

2 Likes

Yes, That would be very nice, but it might interfere with the “Hot corner” i would like to be implemented :relieved:

1 Like

My two cents. Sorry for the length of the post. :wink:

Disclaimer: A few monthes ago, I switched from MATE to GNOME 3. When Canonical announced that Unity was dropped and Ubuntu would use GNOME starting from v. 17.10, I gave it a try to see how the DE had progressed over the years (I already tried it years ago and it was pretty much unusable). After tweaking it with a few extensions, I now have a well working environement and I hesitate to go back to MATE because of some functionalities that I’d really miss (but I’d really like to go back to MATE, because while it’s more polished, GNOME is also bloated and Mutter −the compositor− is a piece of crap).

1. Color management. It’s something that is missing from a lot of Linux DEs. The “big ones” (GNOME, Unity, KDE) have it but the smaller DEs (MATE, XFCE, LXDE…) still miss what should be present in every modern DE IMO. GNOME has prefs to load ICC profiles for screens, printers and even scanners. I know there are some command line tools that can load a profile manually but having a software in the MATE prefs (especially if the settings daemon can monitor it) would be a welcome addition.

2. Better workspaces (virtual desktops) management. The dynamic workspaces of GNOME is a really interesting way of handling them. Basically, it has one when the session launches and opens a new one everytime there isn’t one empty (i.e. you open a window, a new workspace is created; if you open something on it, another empty one is created. You always have a “spare” one).
    In a related way, when using MATE, I had the workspaces applet pinned in the top right of my top panel: when needing to switch, I just moved the mouse “blindly” in the corner and moved the wheel to change workspace. It worked pretty well (except in Ubuntu MATE 17.04, where the applet is buggy) but I’ve found a different way of moving through workspaces in GNOME with an extension: moving the mouse wheel while on the right or left side of the screen to switch. It’s a kind of hot corners functionality (except it’s sides rather than corners) that works far better for me to quickly switch workspaces. I think something similar can be setup on MATE when using Compiz but not the other compositors (Marco / Compton). It would be great to have this implemented in MATE, though I’m not sure if it can be done independantly of the compositor.

3. Exposé mode. Kind of related to the workspaces management. GNOME has a true Exposé mode (by pressing a key, you get a display of all the opened windows and the list of workspaces), Unity has a somewhat similar feature with the workspaces grid. In both cases, you get a big preview of what is opened, allowing you to move applications between workspaces easily. I know there exists a DE-independant Exposé mode with Skippy-XD (though I’m not sure it’s still in active developement) that can probably be used on MATE but I don’t think it would allow to move windows from one workspace to another. I also know you can move windows in the workspace applet but it’s too small to be really usable.

4. Mass renaming of files in Caja. I often handle a lot of files which I need to rename according to a pattern. Before GNOME, I used pyRenamer, a software made for mass renaming that works with regexps. While it works, it’s not very convenient but a similar functionality (though more limited) is implemented directly in Nautilus: select a bunch of files, press F2 and you get a dialog offering the possibility to rename the selected files using a pattern (like append something before / after the original name, replace a string in every name…). It’s really convenient.

5. Wacom tablets settings. This is quite specific and not needed by most people but when you have such a tablet, it’s really handy to have a dedicated software in the prefs to set it up.

1 Like

You should file feature requests upstream against mate-control-center for 1) and marco for 2). I think Compiz has a function to do 3), have you checked it out?
Regarding 4), I’m sure someone must already requested that in caja/upstream.

I wouldn’t use Compiz even under torture. :wink:

1 completely agree. I did look into this ages ago but didn’t make much progress.

2 I agree workspace management via the UI could be better, although I use the keybindings for switching workspaces so don’t “have a problem” personally. Dynamic workspaces are unlikely to make it to MATE, it is a weird UI pattern for many.

3 is already enabled in the MATE Compiz profile, see Welcome for keybindings docs.

4 landed two day ago in 17.10 :grinning:

5 I have spoken to several digital artists, I understand what they need and am trying to organise this work upstream.

4 Likes