X11 forwarding with Caja in 18.04.1

In UM 16.04 (and 16.10, 17.04 and 17.10) I could get the remote machine's file manager GUI just by using the ssh -X [email protected] command and then issuing the caja command in terminal.

Below is from a 18.04 client to a 16.04 server. -Caja opens as expected -

However, when attempting the same to an 18.04 server, I get nothing. Nada. All other gui applications that I've tested opened locally except Caja. Caja opens on the remote machine, but not locally.

The fault appears to be in my 18.04.1 servers. None of the ideas posted on the interwebs that I've found appears to mitigate this problem.

Does anyone know why this failure happens or more importantly how I can get Caja to display on my local machine using X11? Please let me know if I can provide more information. Thanks for your time.

X2go works as it always has, more or less perfectly and SSHFS is flawless. I can get Caja this way. Only X forwarding on 18.04 servers appears to be broken when trying to raise Caja.

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1815318

1 Like

I can confirm your issue (18.04 as server, 16.04 or 18.04 as client).
I edited your bug-description and added comment:

I can confirm the issue using Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS as server and Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS as client.

Applications work (open on client as expected): atril, brasero, charmap, cheese, gnome-disks, engrampa, eom, firefox, gdebi-gtk, libreoffice, mate-system-log, mate-calculator, mate-color-select, mate-dictionary, mate-font-viewer, mate-search-tool, mate-system-monitor, mate-terminal, pluma, mate-power-statistics, rhythmbox, shotwell, simple-scan, mate-screenshot, thunderbird, transmission-gtk, vlc, nautilus .

Applications which do not work (open on server instead of on client): caja, deja-dup, blueman-manager .

So Caja, Deja-Dup and Blueman Manager do not open remotely and are show locally (on server).