Xscreensaver goes to blank screen in 19.10

I must be doing something terribly wrong at a basic level. I installed 19.10 on my laptop and then, as usual, the xscreensaver screensavers. I had them working fine on my 18.04 before. They show up fine in my System--Preferences--Look and Feel--Screensaver--Screensaver Preferences, and I can look at the different ones there and preview them full screen.
It's just when I go to Lock the screen or when I let the screen lock after the time of inactivity I have set, it just shows up blank.
Does anyone have any ideas? I love Deco :slight_smile:

I still have not had time to go 19.10 What does this show please?

dpkg -l | grep saver

me on 19.04
ii mate-screensaver 1.20.3-3 amd64 MATE screen saver and locker
ii mate-screensaver-common 1.20.3-3 all MATE screen saver and locker (common files)

apt search xscreensaver
has a number of hits.

1 Like

Thanks, here's the output, aus9:
ii mate-screensaver 1.22.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 MATE screen saver and locker
ii mate-screensaver-common 1.22.2-0ubuntu1 all MATE screen saver and locker (common files)
ii rss-glx 0.9.1-6.1ubuntu4 amd64 Really Slick Screensavers GLX Port
ii xscreensaver-data 5.42+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 amd64 Screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
ii xscreensaver-data-extra 5.42+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 amd64 Extra screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
ii xscreensaver-gl 5.42+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 amd64 GL(Mesa) screen saver modules for screensaver frontends
ii xscreensaver-gl-extra 5.42+dfsg1-1ubuntu1 amd64 Extra GL(Mesa) screen saver modules for screensaver frontends

I'm using the default Marco (adaptive compositor) but I've tried the regular Marco and also Compiz, and it still did the same thing (that is, a blank screen instead of the screensaver).

Stop the press! My laptop has a regular Intel graphics card (power-saver) and a discrete Nvidia (power usage). I had been running it on the Nvidia one, and xscreensaver wasn't working. I just tried switching it to Intel, and xscreensaver now works fine. Now that I think about it, I was using the Intel card when using 18.04, so I can't tell whether the Nvidia on 18.04 would have given the same problem.

But, I wonder why xscreensaver won't work on the Nvidia when it does on Intel... any ideas? :slight_smile:

not really but there appears to be some issues with nVidia closed source if that is what you are using?

https://dirkmittler.homeip.net/blog/archives/5226

1 Like

I think you are right. I'll have a go at removing the closed-source nvidia driver and go back to the open source one and let you know what happens. :slight_smile:

Well, I went back to the open source driver. And I no longer have the system tray icon that let me switch between Intel and Nvidia. This wasn't optimal, as it seems I was now running Nouveau drivers and couldn't switch to Intel, and the problem I mentioned reappeared. So I reinstalled the Nvidia driver so I could use the system tray switcher, and then I switched to the Intel driver. Now all's good. :slight_smile: