Command to restart frozen X server from virtual console?

I’ve had a few freezes in Ubuntu Mate 16.04, likely related to bug #3 listed here. Quite annoying. :^( I got out of it by holding down the power key, but I’ve heard it’s not the best option. So I’m researching other methods of recovering from a freeze, in case it happens again.

I’ve read that if I can switch to another tty, I can then log in and restart the X server. The command given for Ubuntu at the guide I’m reading is sudo service lightdm restart. Does the same command work for Ubuntu Mate? Thanks for your help!

Why are you starting another thread on this?

I’m sorry, I did not realize that this was against the rules. I started this threat to specifically ask if sudo service lightdm restart applied to Ubuntu Mate as well, after a few futile web searches. But I have since answered my own question by running cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager, feel kind of stupid now.

If the duplicate thread is a problem, please delete it, and I’ll avoid making more than one threads on related topics in the future!

I was curious as to why you felt it necessary. You have good help in the other thread and I thought you may not of been happy with the answers you received. Anyhow certainly not a hanging offense :slight_smile: But it is a good practice to avoid making more than one thread on related topics.