17.04 Alpha 2 Window Decorations

Everything was fine on 17.04 alpha1, yesterday I installed alpha2 and am having problems with missing window decorations. If I check MATE Tweak>Windows>Window Manager I can see this error message in red: “You are using an unknown and unsupported window manager…”. If I select another one, it fixes things, but only until the next time I switch the computer on.
Re-installing 16.10 doesn’t fix it. Possibly a configuration or startup file to do with window managers, any ideas what or where?

Is it Marco that will not boot and you switch to Compiz? If so, purge and reinstall Marco.

Also if you switch window managers using the terminal it may give you a more accurate error report.

1 Like

Neither will work. I have tried:
sudo apt remove marco --purge
sudo apt install marco
and the same with compix, but nothing changes.

I can’t see a way to try:
marco – replace &&
as the terminal doesn’t allow typing in this state.

I’ve tried:
marco --replace &&
after sorting the problem temporarily by using MATE Tweak.
No difference.

I have now remembered that I recently found “Compton” on the menu, had no idea what it was, clicked it and nothing happened, so un-installed it. I have reinstalled it, by maybe some setup file is now wrong - could that be it?

About compton

Could be a issue, but I’m thinking not.

1 Like

This is something that really irritates me about Ubuntu and its derivatives. I had this problem with Mint and it was never properly resolved, which is why I switched to Ubuntu MATE.
The only way that was suggested to fix Mint was to backup all my home directory except the dot files then wipe the disk. I would have lost my Thunderbird emails! My “solution” was to do a backup first, keep the home directory, but delete all the dot directories that I felt confident there was no real need for. When I posted my intention to do this, I got SHOUTED at for doing a recursive delete on a directory…and he had told me to delete the lot!

How hard can it be to identify the loading process for the window manager and its configuration files? It’s beyond my technical ability or patience, so maybe I should try Mint again as it now works well on a friend’s computer.

1 Like

I installed Mint MATE and had the same problem, so I have installed Mint Cinnamon and it’s fixed. I conclude the problem lies with MATE configuration.