20.04 Display issues with AMD GPU

ilvipero, thank you so much!!!

No more broken display, brightness etc working.
My Graphics display: AMD, Stoney Radeon R2/R3/R4/R/5.

I love Ubuntu (Mate)!

1 Like

In my opinion, same root cause problem with:

It's sad that this massive bug still isn't solved with 20.04.1 ...

I am experiencing the same issue. Momentarily fixed it with the walk-around. But it will be nice if this issue will be fixed

If you have or are currently experiencing this issue with AMD GPUs and Ubuntu MATE please see the following thread and post your system info as detailed in that thread.

I have the exact same issue with a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 1-14-AST05 with the AMD A6-9220e APU

I picked this laptop up new for $120 at Best Buy during their Black Friday sales event, and tried Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and this worked perfectly and smoothly, then I tried 20.04.1 and 20.10 and they both had the exact same graphical glitches seen above and are unusable

Given this issue has apparently existed since May if anyone needs physical access to one of these computers I’d be glad to help, these laptops are cheap enough to where I’d have no issue donating one if it meant it would get better support on Linux

1 Like

I thought every PC with a AMD Graphics Card have this problem, but i right now i am installing on one Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1 without any issues oO

inxi -SMG
    System:
      Host: raptop Kernel: 5.4.0-56-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 
      Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) 
    Machine:
      Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP 255 G7 Notebook PC 
      v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <superuser/root required> 
      Mobo: HP model: 84AE v: 86.21 serial: <superuser/root required> 
      UEFI: Insyde v: F.16 date: 12/14/2018 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] 
      driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,ati 
      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-56-generic LLVM 10.0.0) 
      v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 

I don't see much differences to my other posted systems, but i didn't know if a patch fixed the problem since i tested it last time. I didn't rechecked the posted systems, when i gathered the infos.

€dit:
Okay i rechecked my own system (huppyryzen) with a live usb stick:

inxi -SMG
    System:
      Host: ubuntu-mate Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
      Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B350-PLUS v: Rev X.0x 
      serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 5602 
      date: 07/14/2020 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: AMD Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] driver: amdgpu 
      v: kernel 
      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
      resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 3440x1440~60Hz 
      OpenGL: 
      renderer: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-42-generic LLVM 10.0.0) 
      v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 

=> adaptive composit didn't work

System:
  Host: huppyryzen Kernel: 5.4.0-56-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B350-PLUS v: Rev X.0x 
  serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 5602 
  date: 07/14/2020 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] driver: amdgpu 
  v: kernel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 3440x1440~60Hz 
  OpenGL: 
  renderer: Radeon RX Vega (VEGA10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-56-generic LLVM 11.0.0) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.0-rc2 

=> Adaptive composit works!

1 Like

Check out the initial bug report. I also had this issue only on my Thinkpad and not on my desktop on a RX 460. So, using "xpresent" seems to be only broken on some AMD GPUs, but not all. But it's already fixed upstream.

@franksmcb : In order to help the community and fin d the root cause, I can do a lot of tests. Just tell me what to test as I have this issue.

I bought a pc today and installed ubuntu mate 20.04. It boots fine but after a few seconds red dots are all over the screen it looks something like this https://askubuntu.com/questions/653546/there-are-red-lines-on-my-screen. When I try to open up another console, I have to wait for a few seconds again to see the console when I try to go back on the graphical tty red dots are gone but I can't do anything on it

Fresh install, updated.
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3100
GPU RX 570

Edit: I also tried installing latest proprietary driver and downgrading the kernel to 5.4.0-54 as it was recommended but it didn't help either.

This is exemplary to why Linux never gets any third-party support for real.

Your issue is not about the issue of this topic. Please open a thread to get help.

1 Like

Philippe, I moved ennozdd's post to this topic because it involves an AMD display issue.

It's not this type of a bug. Why didn't we put all mate Bugs in on thread? Everytime Ubuntu Mate is involved...

=>
The error is Mesa related and STILL occurs today in an updated 20.04.1 on my system
The Error is fixed somewhere betweeen Mesa 20.0.8 and 20.3.0-rc2

Same issue with Ubuntu Mate HWE 20.04 with kernel 5.8 and latest AMD driver from oibaf PPA. Please, let me know what to do, for testing what you want.

Hi, everyone. I'm sorry if it is a silly comment but, it happened to me as well on my lenovo ideapad laptop with Xubuntu 20.04, and I came with a weird but functional workaround: I opened the display window, selected the 1366x768 resolution, rotation: inverted and reflection: horizontal and vertical, then applied. Worked!

You may find the following information useful. It looks like Ubuntu needs to add these fixes ...

That could be because 'TearFree' is getting activated. From https://manpages.debian.org/buster/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/amdgpu.4.en.html
Option "TearFree" "boolean"
........ If this option isn't set, the default value of the property is auto, which means that TearFree is on for rotated outputs, outputs with RandR transforms applied and for RandR 1.4 slave outputs, otherwise off.

Setting the value of TearFree to 'on' or 'True' in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file fixed it for me.

(Debian 10 + Mate, on Thinkpad E575, amdgpu driver)

I was having this problem until one of the recent kernel updates - unfortunately not sure which one. Currently using AMD Renoir w/- 5.11.0-34 kernel a-ok with dual monitors.