20.04 Display issues with AMD GPU

Your issue is not about the issue of this topic. Please open a thread to get help.

1 Like

Philippe, I moved ennozdd's post to this topic because it involves an AMD display issue.

It's not this type of a bug. Why didn't we put all mate Bugs in on thread? Everytime Ubuntu Mate is involved...

=>
The error is Mesa related and STILL occurs today in an updated 20.04.1 on my system
The Error is fixed somewhere betweeen Mesa 20.0.8 and 20.3.0-rc2

Same issue with Ubuntu Mate HWE 20.04 with kernel 5.8 and latest AMD driver from oibaf PPA. Please, let me know what to do, for testing what you want.

Hi, everyone. I'm sorry if it is a silly comment but, it happened to me as well on my lenovo ideapad laptop with Xubuntu 20.04, and I came with a weird but functional workaround: I opened the display window, selected the 1366x768 resolution, rotation: inverted and reflection: horizontal and vertical, then applied. Worked!

You may find the following information useful. It looks like Ubuntu needs to add these fixes ...

That could be because 'TearFree' is getting activated. From https://manpages.debian.org/buster/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/amdgpu.4.en.html
Option "TearFree" "boolean"
........ If this option isn't set, the default value of the property is auto, which means that TearFree is on for rotated outputs, outputs with RandR transforms applied and for RandR 1.4 slave outputs, otherwise off.

Setting the value of TearFree to 'on' or 'True' in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file fixed it for me.

(Debian 10 + Mate, on Thinkpad E575, amdgpu driver)

I was having this problem until one of the recent kernel updates - unfortunately not sure which one. Currently using AMD Renoir w/- 5.11.0-34 kernel a-ok with dual monitors.