21.04 Ubuntu MATE Changes - Layouts, Global Menu, and HUD

Can I install the debs with the Gdebi package installer without any package dependency problems?

@BioHazard I posted these awhile ago. You can do this manually right now. See my guides:

20.04:

18.04:

The dependencies haven't changed, so there won't be any problems there. These just add the new themes and icon files.

Tip I heard in a video from someone well known around here.
cd where the *.deb is located and then sudo apt install -y ./your.deb .
Goodbye dependencies troubles.

With all respect to everyone, logically this makes no sense, regardless if Mutiny, Cupertino, or whatever desktop panel. :lying_face:

1. There was enough demand to create/incorporate a feature. :confetti_ball:
  2. Parts now fail or are showing signs of failure, etc. :broken_heart:
  3. There is continued demand to create many bug :beetle::bug::mosquito: reports by active users.
  4. Lets remove the feature rather than meet customer demand (#3). :boom:
  5. Zero demand = it was never needed. :thinking:
  6. Profit (?). :money_with_wings:

Anxious to see what the Plank-Mutiny (Mutanty?) :radioactive: will end up being but when I went down that route and several others nothing was close to mate-dock + HUD.

With that said I have a lot of confidence in the Project Devs :trident: they are much better than I at customizing anything I could even conceive of. :exploding_head:

PS: Ok my list is little polarizing/extreme. I get this OS for Free (libre) and free (as in beer) so 1-6 are NULL. :beers: And my post might just be :poop: .

PSS: How does Wimpy do this Emoji thing... :star_struck:

2 Likes

I feel ya, HUD never seem to fail for me, but dock crashes are just something I accept.

Especially good when I can't remember some deep menu item but know the specific thing I'm looking for in the program. Power cheat.

I'm currently using the dark version right now and quite like it, it is sharp, I have long like yaru's looks, however I generally like light themes better, but the light version does not feel quite as refined right now, mostly around the menubars

1 Like

when using the places from the menu bar, there appears to be a little line under it like it's highlighted or something, only in the light mode that I've found, also and I think in all versions unmaximizing firefox gives sharp corners and then they go rounded, but for a moment they're still sharp, though I think that's a firefox bug as that is the only thing that does it

Just an FYI for everyone trying Yaru. Things are moving at a rapid pace and lots of changes are being made quickly.

If you are testing 21.04 you will get these via updates. If you are testing on another version, keep an eye on the PPA lah7 references for updated packages.

4 Likes

I'll download the deb packages, but I won't add the PPA since it caused problems for 20.10

But thanks :slight_smile:

Some news from the frontlines for those who aren't on the official Discord server yet (I strongly recommend you to join if you want to read what's happening behind the scenes):

• ubuntu-mate-artwork 21.04.03 has been released about a week ago with improvements here and there in Yaru MATE. Almost all category icons from the brisk menu have been updated. It looks great to say the least.
  • Mutiny is back via Plank instead of MATE dock. Light and dark variants for the plank theme used by the mutiny layout will be available.

Edit: ubuntu-mate-artwork 21.04.04 just released
Changelog:

• Update Yaru-MATE-dark window buttons to match titlebar contrast
  • Update Metacity (Marco) themes to be consistent with upstream Yaru GNOME Shell
  • Sync Yaru-MATE GTK 4.0 themes with upstream Yaru
  • Sync Yaru-MATE GTK 3.20 themes with upstream Yaru
  • Add missing top-level category icons
4 Likes

"Mutiny is back via Plank instead of MATE dock."

Does this mean that MATE dock will be abandoned? That would be a pity.

Why they wanted to ditch Mutiny:

(bugs/lack of maintenance for MATE dock, MATE hud and the global menu)
People wanted it back, so they found another way.
I assume you will still be able to install the problematic components if you're ok with their current state.
2 Likes

Dang.... The Global Application Menu was the reason why I chose Mate above so many other Desktops options. That's unfortunate.

1 Like

It is still there :slight_smile: . Don't worry.

2 Likes

0- ALL running smooth; nvidia drivers and etc works all well. Also love the Brisk menu Improvements and the color accents. Maybe use a liiitle bit more gray then white
1- first deception : can't turn off mouse acceleration even in 2021?(how does xfce allow to do that with an ease of a click? https://github.com/Synaxis/xfce4-settings/blob/master/dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c#L1172)
2- Nice improvements on Pluma text editor , i love it and plan to use it as a mainly text editor forever
3- One thing i noticed, audio quality bit-rate is not right i have no idea what is different(but you can hear the difference haha)
Thank you all Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate Team --Synaxis, [email protected]