Acer C720 Chromebook

Acer C720

Acer’s C270 is a cheap and popular 11inch Chromebook with an 1.4Ghz Intel Celeron processor, 2GB of Ram and a 16GB Solid-State Drive. Variations of the model include a touchscreen version with an i3 and 4GB of Ram. The light weight an excellent battery life makes it an excellent portable computer.

The tested model is running Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS. The firmware has been replaced with SeaBios (CoreBoot) and the SSD has been upgraded to a 128GB M.2 SFF drive.

NOTE If you want a seemless 14.10 installation, you can find a ready-to-go ISO with everything working out of the box over at DistroShare

This computer is my daily driver and has outstanding performance for creating documents, development, internet stuff, light gaming and hardware-accelerated video playback.

Compatibility

BIOS/UEFI mode

• Does the device use legacy bios or the newer UEFI mode?

The device, like many Chromebooks, ships with ChromeOS firmware that include a ‘legacy mode’ provided by SeaBios. This can be used to boot alternative operating system once Developer Mode is activated. Alternatively you can use Chrubuntu to install Ubuntu MATE in a Chroot environment. If you don’t mind voiding your warranty, you can take the route I did and completely remove ChromeOS and it’s firmware.

• Can the bios be replaced or flashed with SeaBios/CoreBoot?

Yes! Google’s firmware on this model can be completely replaced. To replace the firmware, the device must be physically opened to remove a write-protection screw.

Instructions and firmware can be found at https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/faq/

• Does updating the BIOS/UEFI provide improved performance or hardware compatibility?

Replacing the firmware turns it into a generix x86-64 laptop and removes the ability to boot ChromeOS or accidently hose your Ubuntu MATE install at boot time.

• If UEFI is present does it support 64bit bootloaders? N/A

• Is reFIND supported? Not required

• If the device supports both legacy mode and UEFI are there driver issues if using one or the other? N/A

Suspend and Hibernation

Suspend

• Does suspend work out-of-the-box? No
  • Did you have to manually configure suspend? If so how?

See Linvinus’s fix on reddit

• Does closing the lid initiate suspend? Yes, once fixed as above
  • Does opening the lid initiate resume? Yes

Works perfectly once the system is tweaked as above. Opening the lid will also power on the system if switched off thanks to the firmware.

• Are there any issues on resume, such as devices failing to load? Yes

Wifi module and trackpad can sometimes fail after resume and must be reloaded. Scripts can be found https://github.com/hugegreenbug/distro-mods

Hibernate

• Does the system support hibernation? Does it work out-of-the-box? Not tested
  • Did you have to manually configure hibernation? If so how? NA
  • Does closing the lid initiate hibernation? N/A
  • Does opening the lid initiate resume? N/A
  • Are there any issues on resume, such as devices failing to load? N/A

Thermal management

• Does the device’s thermal management system work as expected? Yes
  • Does the system run excessively hot? No.
  • Are the hardware sensors supported by lm_sensors? Yes.
  • Did you have to install any additional packages to get thermal management working? No

Storage

• If the device has an SSD drive, does TRIM work? Did you have to manually set up trim using a cronjob? A cronjob is required.
  • If there is an SD card slot, is it working? Yes. SDHC slot works out of the box

Graphics

• What is the graphics chipset? Intel Haswell-ULT graphics rev 09
  • Does it have hybrid graphics? Does switching work? N/A
  • Does it work with open-source drivers? If so, what version? Intel open source
  • Does it work with closed-source drivers? If so, what version? N/A
  • Does it work with external displays? If so what is supported at what resolutions? Yes. Tested on several 1080p displays
  • Is there any tearing? If so are you able to overcome it manually? Tearing in stock kernel. Updates to patched 3.18.7 kernel required
  • Does video acceleration work? Yes, perfectly with open source driver, va-api 0.36 for Haswell mobile. Tested in VLC and MPV
  • If using HDMI or DisplayPort, does digital audio work? Yes, HDMI audio works. Tested Stereo as well as Dolby and DTS passthrough
  • Does the device have a webcam? Does it work? Yes

Internal display

• Does the internal display work as expected at full resolution? Yes
  • Is it a HiDPI display? If so does pixel doubling work? N/A
  • Does the backlight work with hotkeys? Did you have to install xbacklight? Xbacklight required.

Sound

• What is the audio chipset? Intel
  • Does it work with open-source drivers? If so, what version? Works out of box
  • Does it work with closed-source drivers? If so, what version? NA
  • Do the analogue audio ports work? Yes
  • Does it have an internal microphone? Does it work? Yes, works
  • Does it have digital audio such as SPDIF or HDMI? Do they work? HDMI audio works out of box
  • Have you used external audio cards, such as USB or Firewire devices? Do they work? Not tested

Networking and Bluetooth

Ethernet

Not applicable on this device

Wifi

• What is the wifi chipset? Atheros AR9462
  • Is it supported by open-source drivers? Yes
  • Does it require proprietary drivers? No
  • Does it support 5GHZ and if so is it working? Yes
  • Does it support AC and if so is it working? N/A

Bluetooth

• What is the Bluetooth chipset? Atheros AR9462

• Does it work out-of-the-box? Yes

• Does it require a third-party driver? No

• What profiles are supported/working? Audio, Networking, File Transfer

• Does Bluetooth audio work? Yes with tweaking. The kernel module must be loaded on startup. I created a simple script and included in my list of Startup Applications

#!/usr/bin/bash
    pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover

Pointing devices

• Is the touchpad/trackpoint working? Chromebook trackpads require Kernel 3.17 or later to work
  • Do the physical buttons work? Yes, with newer kernel
  • Is multitouch supported and working? NA
  • Does scrolling work? Yes
  • Do gestures work? NA
  • Did you do any manually configurations in ~/.xsessionrc? Yes, but more for personal preferences

Keyboard

• Does the keyboard work? Yes with Kernel 3.17 and later
  • Are the media/function keys recognised and working? Must be configured mannually
  • If the device has a keyboard backlight, is working? NA

lspci output

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:15.0 DMA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP Low Power Sub-System DMA (rev 04)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP I2C Controller #0 (rev 04)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP I2C Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1 (rev ff)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP Thermal (rev 04)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

4 Likes

Very cool - I have one of these I was thinking about converting to linux!

1 Like

I would make a great first machine and I recommend heading over to https://www.distroshare.com/distros/get/55/ to get a 14.10 ISO with all fixes applied and everything working out of the box

1 Like

I have this machine too. It’s a decent cheap second PC once configured. I would add that that tilda doesn’t work well out of the box due to a lack of an F12 key on the keyboard. I’ve remapped the key but I was a miffed when I tried tilda at first.

1080p60 videos work without issue using VLC and VA-API for all you HFR fans.

1 Like

@CGB, what’s your take on some of the Chromebooks about to be released with the Rockchips, being MATE-installable? (Such as the ASUS C201, Chromebook Flip, maybe the Haisense model). I can find a number of examples of people doing what you have done with the C720, but less so with other currently-released Chromebooks. The way I look at it, if I can install a desktop Linux onto a Chromebook that costs $200, that more than beats out these $400 tablets. Especially when I’d have to add a keyboard or other accessories.

@gravy45, it would depend how open the hardware is. I’m not sure if ARM chromebooks use the same hackable bootloader; if not you’re are stuck using chroot. Beyond the bootloader, you may also run into problems with the GPU, which on ARM devices are not particulary GNU/Linux friendly as the vast majority of their drivers are closed source. That said there are several Rockchip-based sticks already running Xubuntu which you can buy online.

So to answer your question: if the bootloader is unlocked and replaceable and the GPU is open-source friendly and wireless chipset is Atheros then yes, building an Ubuntu MATE image would be possible.

Personly I think Intel is the way to go. They make the effort to make their platform as open as possible to GNU/Linux and haswell performs incredibly well per watt.

I really wish I could say the same for ARM.

1 Like

Thanks, I hadn’t considered ARM vs Intel. Definitely a lot of hurdles to get over.

It looks like they have updated the C720. Any others you would also recommend? I would have probably jumped a year ago and bought one, but at the time I couldn’t find a 4 Gb model.

@gravy45 given that it’s my daily driver, I’d have liked one with 4GB just for a little headroom and longevity but alas it wasn’t available at the time I got mine. If it was my only computer I would have sprung for the i3 model but they were almost twice the price.

That said, I haven’t hit a performance issue yet for what I use it for. Ubuntu MATE is very efficient and the Haswell Celeron CPU is very capable.

I guess it depends on what you see yourself doing with it.

1 Like

Thanks @CGB, I don’t foresee heavy usage but the 2 Gb vs. 4 Gb concerns me because of the memory usage of browsers. I’m sure 2 Gb is fine for now. I just don’t want to have to be replacing it in a couple years because memory cannot be expanded. Either way, I think I’m willing to pay for 4 Gb but have to check prices. Thanks again for the tip on Intel, that would save me a lot of hassle.

1 Like

I’ve been using HugeGreenBug’s Ubuntu Mate 14.10 for Acer C720

1 Like

@gravy45, you can’t go wrong with 4GB, especially as you say if you like lots of browser tabs. Funny thing though, my C720 with its paltry specs running Ubuntu MATE 14.04 outperforms my 2011 Mac Mini in it’s stock configuration (i5, 4GB RAM, spinning HDD) running OS X 10.10.

OS X is a bloated mess these days. My next hardware writeup will be for that Mini but I’m planning on putting in a couple of SSDs first and 16GB of RAM when I can scratch together the cash. Given my needs an upgraded Mini with those specs runing Ubuntu will last me 5 to 10 years.

@Seth, I used Hugh’s Distroshare repo over in Git as the basis of my 14.04 install and it works great. I could have used the 14.10 iso too but I wanted LTS.

I was using HugeGreenBug’s version of the distro on my c720 and while it was great getting Ubuntu Mate on it finally I had issues with a strange dependency hell which resulted from one of his modified packages. I recently installed the latest (non LTS) version of plain vanilla Ubuntu-Mate and I’m please to say that it works out of the box for me! Thanks so much for that!

Now if I can just figure out the Macbook…

@bornagainpenguin - which macbook

As for 15.04, the stock image mostly worked for me to apart from a few minor niggles with the trackpad

Oh absolutely! The trackpad can be quite annoying in how it wants to seemingly randomly pop up the right click menu all the time and the occasional issues with drag and drops that I don’t recall having initiated. Still some of that is simply the hardware (which behaved like that to a degree with BodhiLinux, just nit quite as bad) and some of that is configuration which I assume is still a work in progress.

Nonetheless I’m still thrilled at how far things have come so quickly, compared to say my eeepc 901 which took some work for quite some time when it first came out.

In any case if there are any tests I can run to ferry data back to the developers to help improve the state of things , please let me know!

EDIT: I missed this the first time, sorry!

@CGB It’s an early 2011 Macbook Pro with Intel graphics and an SSD replacing the original hard drive. Mostly I get lost in all the steps needed to try and dual boot (or at the very least leave the emergency boot to web options to reinstall) because the original apps have been superseded new ones after bitrot and being abandoned.

I even tried just replacing OSX with Ubuntu-Mate which worked, but added an atrocious delay to the startup time I am unwilling to accept with a SSD. That’s all off topic though

Yeah it’s pretty cool. I had to manually set the volume controls and still haven’t figured out how to get screen brightness to work but I’m very happy with it’s performance. Just don’t open too many chrome tabs :slight_smile:

@MrDrizz to get screen brightness working, install xbacklight and map the brightness keys to the follow commands:

xbacklight -inc 10
xbacklight -dec 10

You may need to fiddle with the numbers

Alternatively, you can use Hugh Greenburg’s script if you want something more sophisticated

https://github.com/hugegreenbug/distro-mods/blob/master/acer_c720/common/usr/local/bin/change-brightness.sh

Yeah I hear you. It’s a lot to do but that model, being all intel is one of the more Linux friendly Macbook’s. Keep on trying!

You need to bless the ubuntu partition from the OSX side. When I replace OS X with Linux completely on a machine, I usually keep an OS X installation (or bootable recovery disk) on a spare FireWire drive.

xbacklight works a treat. Thanks.

1 Like

Mmmh, time to bring back this topic from the dead…

@CGB, maybe I missed it in your review, but did the touchscreen behave nicely under Ubuntu MATE?

@Gravy said:

The way I look at it, if I can install a desktop Linux onto a Chromebook that costs $200, that more than beats out these $400 tablets. Especially when I’d have to add a keyboard or other accessories.

And indeed, I agree. At the time of writing the convergent Ubuntu tablet is just available for preorder. I’m interested because I like the possibility offered by this product to switch from tablet / content consumption mode to notebook / content creation mode. However not convinced yet: for the phone/tablet dimension, I would prefer CyanogenMod rather than Ubuntu Touch (not sure the concept of ‘scopes’ can easily replace the lack of Ubuntu app ecosystem), and for the notebook dimension, I am afraid that for now too many applications are not ARM compatible.

But if installing Ubuntu MATE alongside Chrome OS on an Intel Chromebook was as simple as installing it in a virtual machine (I understood from a post by @UnkleBonehead that it is unfortunately a bit more complex), that would be a good alternative indeed.
I would not go for the Asus Chromebook flip due to its ARM processor, but maybe for the Acer Chromebook R11, which can also be converted to a tablet.

By the way, here is an article from howtogeek about 4 Things to Keep in Mind When Buying a Chromebook For Linux. Guess the advices given will not come as much of a surprise to many in this community, but still good to scan before purchasing a chromebook I think.