After (mir) update, the Network icon does not always appear

After performing an update normally in the system, I realized that the network indicator (the icon that is next to the clock) disappeared after the restart. I restarted again and came back.
Today when connecting the system did not appear, only after reboot.
It seems odd, but the network indicator appears to be ghost for some reason. :confused:

What I do know is that Mir was updated the last time I performed an update on the system. Would it be a bug? Before everything worked perfectly. No additional software has been included or system modification.

When this happened the default version of Mate 1.12 on 16.04.2 LTS

Now Iā€™ve upgraded to Mate 1.16.2 direct via PPA. I think that fix, but Iā€™m going to observe what happens :slight_smile:

But can anyone guide me about it?

I believe that the most recent Mir update was that (I searched the Internet):

" mir (0.26.3+16.04.20170605-0ubuntu1) xenial; urgency=medium

I found changelog here:
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/xenial/main/updates/mir

my desktop: 16.04.2 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit

Thereā€™s probably no relation to Mir whatsoever.
Whatā€™s curious is that you actually have Mir installed.
Did you install MATE Desktop on top of regular Ubuntu?

Anyway, weā€™ve had issues with nm-applet crashing and not respawning. (See point #1 on this thread)

1 Like

It was as I commented, everything was working perfectly but after an update on the system it started to behave this way.
I remember having read ā€œlib something Mir or Mirā€, maybe some related package but as they are of the official channels I just let it install.

But now Iā€™m also curious if something was installed along with some Boutique software.

I did not install on top of regular Ubuntu, fresh install Ubuntu Mate iso.

The strange thing is that when performing a search for the package, it did not return anything. How did I receive an update?
I used this command:
apt-cache policy mir
and Unable to find mir package. :open_mouth:

Now I am currently using the version MATE Desktop Environment 1.16.2.
From what Iā€™ve read and Iā€™m experiencing things are more polished and stable than keeping the version that is delivered. :slight_smile:

Is it safe to use this version of Mate, located in the official ppa for Mate 16.04.2 LTS?

Thanks for info @ouroumov

My nm-applet seems to be working fine, but I did also see (and confirmed in var/log/apt/history.log) it update today along with some updates with ā€œmirā€ in the name like libmircommon-dev. (Iā€™m not sure why I have those installed, but Iā€™ve installed some dev stuff to build snaps among other thingsā€¦) Iā€™m on 17.04.

3 Likes

Same as @elcste with nm-applet working fine here too, but also discovered with recent updates that my 16.04.2 system also has mir related things installedā€¦ even though I never used Mir! :open_mouth:

They seem to be a couple of libraries, and not the display server itself. It would be a bad idea to uninstall them as theyā€™ll wipe out a lot of packages on the system:

• libmircore1
  • libmirprotobuf3

Unless you are using Mir as your display server (instead of the default, Xorg) Iā€™d say Mir is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with Mir, but likely the MATE panel and nm-applet itself.

2 Likes

Mir libraries are there because GTK+3 has a Mir backend, in addition to X11, Wayland and others. Donā€™t worry, they wonā€™t automatically launch Mir :smiley:

4 Likes

@lah7 Thanks :relaxed:

It happens randomly, maybe a question with NM-applet for some reason I havenā€™t figured out yet. But I will keep an eye.

I thought it was because of these upgraded packages, but itā€™s a coincidence. :slight_smile:

@monsta Thank you for the information, good to know :sweat_smile: