After (mir) update, the Network icon does not always appear

After performing an update normally in the system, I realized that the network indicator (the icon that is next to the clock) disappeared after the restart. I restarted again and came back.
Today when connecting the system did not appear, only after reboot.
It seems odd, but the network indicator appears to be ghost for some reason. :confused:

What I do know is that Mir was updated the last time I performed an update on the system. Would it be a bug? Before everything worked perfectly. No additional software has been included or system modification.

When this happened the default version of Mate 1.12 on 16.04.2 LTS

Now I’ve upgraded to Mate 1.16.2 direct via PPA. I think that fix, but I’m going to observe what happens :slight_smile:

But can anyone guide me about it?

I believe that the most recent Mir update was that (I searched the Internet):

" mir (0.26.3+16.04.20170605-0ubuntu1) xenial; urgency=medium

I found changelog here:
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/xenial/main/updates/mir

my desktop: 16.04.2 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit

There’s probably no relation to Mir whatsoever.
What’s curious is that you actually have Mir installed.
Did you install MATE Desktop on top of regular Ubuntu?

Anyway, we’ve had issues with nm-applet crashing and not respawning. (See point #1 on this thread)

1 Like

It was as I commented, everything was working perfectly but after an update on the system it started to behave this way.
I remember having read “lib something Mir or Mir”, maybe some related package but as they are of the official channels I just let it install.

But now I’m also curious if something was installed along with some Boutique software.

I did not install on top of regular Ubuntu, fresh install Ubuntu Mate iso.

The strange thing is that when performing a search for the package, it did not return anything. How did I receive an update?
I used this command:
apt-cache policy mir
and Unable to find mir package. :open_mouth:

Now I am currently using the version MATE Desktop Environment 1.16.2.
From what I’ve read and I’m experiencing things are more polished and stable than keeping the version that is delivered. :slight_smile:

Is it safe to use this version of Mate, located in the official ppa for Mate 16.04.2 LTS?

Thanks for info @ouroumov

My nm-applet seems to be working fine, but I did also see (and confirmed in var/log/apt/history.log) it update today along with some updates with “mir” in the name like libmircommon-dev. (I’m not sure why I have those installed, but I’ve installed some dev stuff to build snaps among other things…) I’m on 17.04.

3 Likes

Same as @elcste with nm-applet working fine here too, but also discovered with recent updates that my 16.04.2 system also has mir related things installed… even though I never used Mir! :open_mouth:

They seem to be a couple of libraries, and not the display server itself. It would be a bad idea to uninstall them as they’ll wipe out a lot of packages on the system:

• libmircore1
  • libmirprotobuf3

Unless you are using Mir as your display server (instead of the default, Xorg) I’d say Mir is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with Mir, but likely the MATE panel and nm-applet itself.

2 Likes

Mir libraries are there because GTK+3 has a Mir backend, in addition to X11, Wayland and others. Don’t worry, they won’t automatically launch Mir :smiley:

4 Likes

@lah7 Thanks :relaxed:

It happens randomly, maybe a question with NM-applet for some reason I haven’t figured out yet. But I will keep an eye.

I thought it was because of these upgraded packages, but it’s a coincidence. :slight_smile:

@monsta Thank you for the information, good to know :sweat_smile: