Amazed at Mate's auto-install and grub setup

I’m fairly new at Linux, but this amazed me. When auto-installing Ubuntu-Mate, the installer looked at my hdds and decided to partition and install on sdb instead of sda. It also automatically adjusted GRUB so that I could choose which OS to use, on either HDD. At first, I thought it should have just partitioned sda, because it is a 1TB HDD and has plenty of room. While the sdb is only 250GB and is my backup drive. After thinking about this, I thought what if one of the HDDs failed? The way the auto-install implemented the installation, I can still boot and run the system even after a HDD failure. I think my logic is good about this. Please correct me if I am wrong. Sorry if I’m wasting space or boring you, but I was very impressed with this installation.

I’ll take a stab at this :slight_smile:

Pretty much that the way linux works, it tries for the best choice.

More control can be gained by…

also

Post on, I’ll try to to help some more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I know about the install using “something else” method. I was just complimenting the developers on a job well done. It was nice to see the extent of the thought that went into the auto-installation process; unlike another OS that just installs itself by wiping out all other partitions on the disk that it’s being installed on. I feel that the method used by the developers not only made the installation easy. But, in the process made my system more secure against not being able to boot upon a HDD failure, by installing MATE on sdb. I may have neglected to say, earlier, that my other OS is installed on sda. Anyway, I am very impressed with both MATE and Ubunutu.

3 Likes

Hi @OldBoots,

“Auto Install” can ruin someones PC if they aren’t paying attention!, by that I mean it can erase all their personal files and data!. I know you know this but others reading this thread might not!. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out. I would not want to feel responsible, in any way, for someone losing their files and data.

1 Like