Anyone get 16.04 running on Chromebook?

I got a decent Chromebook to supplement and eventually replace my 8-yr old Thinkpad that’s running Ubuntu Mate16.04, and am sold on UM. I’d love to get UM 16.04 running on the Chromebook (Toshiba C2 2015). I see people running various small distros on Crouton, but no one with the latest UM. Have any of you done this? If yes, how and what do I have to watch out for?

Not 16o4, but there is this…

Thanks, I did see that. I’m waiting on a 128gb ssd, will install it and try a few things. Also saw this: https://medium.com/power-user/ubuntu-mate-on-a-chromebook-with-crouton-2cebd167382#.w0k1wpd3v

I’m not confident enough to go blind, I’ve never messed around with ChromeOS and don’t want brick it.

And I do not own one so I’m not a lot of help. There is a search tool for ubuntu that may help.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=chromebook&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en

I have an Acer c710 fitted with 4GB RAM and a Kingston 128GB SSD in place of originally spinny type HD. My son installed SeaBios (CoreBoot) on it for me sometime ago and I have installed and tried Fedora and Manjaro but came back to Ubuntu Mate again. I am currently running 16.04 and it is ideal for this sort of low powered laptop. The only thing with the Acer c710 is that you need to run a few lines of bash script to get the touch pad to work properly.

I have the 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2, with an SSD upgrade. I have finally created a SD Card with the Ubuntu 16 installer on it.

I have posted how it did it at http://www.stormes.net/2015-toshiba-chromebook-ubuntu-16-bootable-sdcard/ and I include a link to the .img file I dumped from my bootable Ubuntu 16 SD card.

It is specifically for the CB2, but may work on other system with the Intel HD 5500 video card.

Please let me know if you find it useful.

can you run it alogside chromeos? cuz none of my progrems work on my chromebook

I flashed MATE onto my Pixel 2 LS, and it ran fine. Had to install Raphael’s SAMUS kernel to get sound to work. This was a complete replacement of Chrome OS. I have since gone back and done the below:

I’d recommend installing Gallium OS via chrx for a true dual boot experience, rather than Crouton. Gallium OS is a XFCE/xubuntu-derived Linux OS that’s optimized for Chromebook. It’s on par with MATE for simplicity and function and works better with Chromebooks. Once you have Gallium OS, be sure to update to the experimental kernel for sound.

If you want MATE in dual boot, you can then flash MATE over the Gallium OS partition once you’ve installed it via chrx. Sound will not work (will have to install Raphael’s SAMUS kernel to get that working), and the trackpad may be jumpy.

Hey there. I have the Asus flip Chromebook and tried UM 15 and 16 without much luck. Took some digging to find the arm chip on plays nicely with 14.04. But it really is stable and coexist alongside Chrome OS. Just Shift-CTRL-ALT-fwdarrw and you swap OS’s… Kinda nice for a Linux newbie like me!

Would be good to know anyone running 16.04 on an Asus flip?

i have 14.04 running now try to download 16.04 on a flash drive on a windows computer

yes you can

1. enable dev mode
  2. ctrl+ alt+ t
    3.shell
    4.sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce
  3. when done : sudo startxfce4

If you're still interested, yes it can be done, and I've installed as recent as 18.04 Bionic.
Mate runs fairly well, as it's relatively light. That said, however, thus far I've managed to get mate via the crouton method by first installing the basic crouton ubuntu 16.04 Xenial distro, with the xfce target, then subsequently build the mate desktop over it. SO it's perhaps not quite as light as it could be, but there are ways to remove xfce noise after the fact as well, so no worries. There's also always something like the tasksel program which is pretty handy for installing desktops.
I'm actually here bcuz I wanted to stretch my legs and see what I could find regarding recent progress others may have made with ubuntu mate on cb's using crouton, and I stubled here first. In short, it absolutely can be done, and I can give you a list of term commands if you'd like to get a better idea, all you need do is ask :3