Anyone trying Ubuntu Mate 16.04?

Hi Dave,

do you have "Canonical" marked in your software sources list?:

See also:

I’m late to the party. I’ve been using Ubuntu with flashback installed. When I used my test partition to install Ubuntu 16.04 and then installed flashback I ran into problems with nautilus and firefox. One helpful poster on Ubuntu Forums suggested that I try Mate and I’m really happy I did! I’m debating whether I’ll keep Ubuntu 14 LTS or completely switch to Mate 16 LTS for both my machines. Will Mate 16 LTS be supported for 5 years?

Regards,
Pete

Hi Pete,

there is no end of life date set yet but it should be the standard 5 years for an LTS release?:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

1 Like

I wonder how often you should update before the final release.
Only at Beta 2 and RC ?
Every time there’s updates (that should be daily) ?
Something else ?

Hi Joss,

you should update on a daily basis and until such times as updates stop coming through. If you intended to use 16.04 in the future, you should do a clean install of the final release just to be on the safe side, you can keep your data intact if you follow this guide:

2 Likes

Thanks wolfman.
Yes, a clean install of the final release makes sense and your guide comes very handy.

1 Like

Hello all,

I’ve been running 16.04 beta for a about two months now, on a laptop that is not mission critical. However the beta seems to be pretty solid. I recently reinstalled this beta with windows 10. The laptop is an HP, so it boots windows first. Has anyone figured out how to edit the grub config to boot grub before the windows boot-loader on a similar setup? I briefly considered grub-customizer. However I don’t think it is compatible with 16.04. The package has not been updated since October of last year. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,