Better weather localisation

I really like the idea of having weather monitoring notification on my desktop. However the built in one that is part of the clock I have issues with. The choice of available locations is very limited. Most modern app let you put in a post code or the ones on my phone uses GPS location data. So this precise information is out there but I can find no way of getting the weather applet to show it.

Are there alternatives? Or is there a way to change the current applet to show more precise information?

1 Like

I use my-wheather-indicator. Try it and tell us if it fit your needs. It has several options and an indicator and a widget. You can choose one or both.

My weather indicator is a fine solution. You can always check whether your location data is available with My Weather Map. Click the link and search for yourself.

Follow below instructions to install.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install my-weather-indicator

After install you find the application under the Accessories menu if the indicator applet didn’t show up. Click on indicator applet and go to Preferences to change your location. Click on “show widget” to display widget on the desktop.

I think @marfig’s working on that :]

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s working very well.

Already [quote=“ouroumov, post:4, topic:9718, full:true”]
I think @marfig’s working on that :]
[/quote]

Already did in fact. Just had a few troubles with compilation and haven’t returned to it since other stuff got in the way. But added 37 more locations. As soon as I can back to it, I’ll be posting on the Dev forums to overcome the compilation difficulties and test the additions. Then I’ll issue the pull request.

1 Like

I can imagine that manually adding locations is a pain. Any way to automate that by linking it to a more complete service? The “my-weather-indicator” has the features I’m after. I’m less interested in widgets but localisation appears to be spot on.