BleachBit same as ccleaner

Hi guys !!!

I remember clearly that when i was trying to get rid of Windows Operating System,a guy from one of the Ubuntu pages on facebook told me that there's a lot of difference between Ubuntu and Windows (better).One of the greatest advantage he told me is that Ubuntu doesn't need any similar software as Ccleaner cause Ubuntu does not keep trash as Windows does,now,looking for new software in the software boutique i see that there is a software to clean all the unnecessary junk files,archives that Ubuntu keeps,so...what that guy told me was a lie ??? i thought Ubuntu keeps no junk like Windows and was better in everything ... :confused:

CCleaner is a registry cleaner.

Linux does not have a registry.

3 Likes

Since I dual boot I use CCleaner for Windows 7 and Bleach Bit for Linux. CCleaner is a registry cleaner, but has a similar function that cleans Windows splatter of files.

I find Bleach Bit generally removes somewhere between 30 - 50 mb; I run it every time I shut my laptop down which is daily. If you are motivated and somewhat experienced in scripting you can actually accomplish everything Bleach Bit does. I’m not motivated to spend the time.

2 Likes

Hi @Sexybaldguy,

I see a huge gap between purely black-and-white statements and the real world which is always… ALWAYS… gray. (my own black-and-white statement :blush:)

Bleachbit has no registry to clean up as CCleaner does. CCleaner is primarily a registry cleaner but does other things, too.

Yet Bleachbit and CCleaner both clean up web browser data. In fact, the BleachBit list seems purely browser oriented and the default browser in Ubuntu-MATE is Firefox.

Firefox differs very little from Windows to Linux. Someone serious about browser data will use something like Tor Browser, based on Firefox, on either platform.

Then there’s browser data itself. One person’s or site “junk” is another person’s or site “convenience” or even “security”.

My conclusion is simple. No way can this gray topic be made into a black-and-white statement like “lie”. It’s way too gray.

1 Like

I had no intention of stating all the facts :slight_smile: Just starting the thread out...but...

The following is a list of cleaners available in BleachBit 0.9.2.

Adanaxis
Adobe Reader
aMSN
aMule
APT
Audacious
Bash
Beagle
Chromium
Downloader for X
Deep scan
Easytag
ELinks
emesene
Epiphany
Evolution
Exaile
Filezilla
Firefox
Flash
gedit
gFTP
GIMP
GL-117
GNOME
GNOME Art
Google Chrome
Google Earth
Google Toolbar
gPodder
Gwenview
Hippo OpenSim Viewer
Internet Explorer
Java
KDE
Konqueror
LibreOffice
Liferea
Links 2
LiVES
Metacity
Microsoft Office
Midnight Commander
Miro
MySQL
Nautilus
Nexuiz
Notify OSD
OpenOffice.org
Opera
Paint
PDFedit
Phatch
Pidgin
PlayOnLinux
RealPlayer
Recoll
Rhythmbox
Safari
Screenlets
SeaMonkey
Second Life Viewer
Silverlight
System logs
System
TeamViewer
Thumbnails
Thunderbird
TortoiseSVN
Transmission
Tremulous
VIM
Virt-Manager
VLC media player
Vuze / Azureus
The Battle for Wesnoth
Winamp
Windows Defender
Windows Explorer
Windows Media Player
WINE
winetricks
WinRAR
WinZip
WordPad
X11
XBMC Media Center
XChat
Xfce
Xine
X-Moto
Yahoo! Messenger
yum
Zsh

Add 2500+ cleaners by using winapp2.ini (Windows only).
Advanced cleaners

Going beyond standard deletion of files, BleachBit has several advanced cleaners:

Clear the memory and swap on Linux
Delete broken shortcuts on Linux
Delete the Firefox URL history without deleting the whole file—with optional shredding
Delete Linux localizations: delete languages you don't use. More powerful than localepurge and available on more Linux distributions.
Clean APT for Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint
Find widely-scattered junk such as Thumbs.db and .DS_Store files.
Execute yum clean for CentOS, Fedora, and Red Hat to remove cached package data
Delete Windows registry keys—often where MRU (most recently used) lists are stored
Delete the OpenOffice.org recent documents list without deleting the whole Common.xcu file
Overwrite free disk space to hide previously files
Vacuum Firefox, Google Chrome, Liferea, Thunderbird, and Yum databases: shrink files without removing data to save space and improve speed
Surgically remove private information from .ini and JSON configuration files and SQLite3 databases without deleting the whole file
Overwrite data in SQLite3 before deleting it to prevent recovery (optional)

and CCleaner

1 Like

Bleach Bit is a great tool that does a phenomenal job for me. It’s also available for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 (32-bit and 64-bit). If one decides to use it pay particular attention to exactly what is being cleaned if using Thunderbird; I mistakenly had it clean index and for my situation that was a huge mistake.

I choose to use free CCleaner for Windows for these reasons:

• cleans registry
  • controls start up
  • provides robust customizable cleaning
    Downside - free version is pretty much on demand as needed.
1 Like

All operating systems have their share of cruft. Myself I don’t care about a 100M of crud. But cleaning out my browser can at times help (choose the cleaning settings carefully). I usually just use it on a fresh install or after a point release. On a fresh install I can recoup about 1000M of space. A big gain in free space is the removal of extra languages.

For a more regular use (after a update) I usually just stick with the autoremove and autoclean commands.

Does the job for me :slight_smile:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto#Maintenance_commands

1 Like

Hi @anon42388993

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

@anon42388993

Usually i dont like to install new software,just the VPN cause if i install something new in software it reminds me of Wndows 7 which i really dont want anymore as long as i am alive,lol !!!
You mean i can use the autoremove & autoclean commands regularly,for example,once a month or so ??? or how regularly can i use the commands instead of BleachBit ???
And,how to run it ? i did try to do it with the terminal but i guess i forgot how to use the commands ...

Thanks for your replies back @pfeiffep :slight_smile:

Hi @Bill_MI

Your reply helps me a lot,thanks for clarify me this :wink:

Just install Synaptic Package Manager and it will notify you when to clean.

sudo apt install synaptic

also the command would be

sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean

Notice just “apt” can also be used instead of “apt-get”

man apt
1 Like

@anon42388993

I just need to open the terminal command and type or copy n’ paste sudo apt install synaptic,then the system automatically will let me know when to clean the system ?
You said also the command would be sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean,you mean i can install any of both and i will get a notification on when to clean ???

Synaptic PM is the GUI for apt (apt-get) package manager. No terminal needed, its a clickable operation.

You will need to spend some time learning how to use Synaptic.

So if you want it, use the above terminal command to install it. Or use the welcome app.

You won’t get a notification to clean. Unless you’re find yourself running out of disk space, and your PC is sluggish, I wouldn’t bother with trying to keep things “clean” all of the time.
:smile_cat:

But back to the Black and White statements. It might have been HIS understanding, and why he thought a Linux Desktop was better.

:coffee:

I must somewhat agree with your friend, @Sexybaldguy; IMHO BleachPit for Linux is a solution to a problem *nix systems generally don’t have.

The main selling point of BleachPit for Windows is that it speeds up the computer. And it does. This is due to the way Windows internals work, monolithic registry being the major culprit and already discussed in this thread.

In Linux, the majority of the disk space freed by BleachPit comes from browser cache files. Unless you are hard pressed with disk space, I’d say let the caches do what they are designed to do: speed up your browsing resulting in better user experience.

If you must get rid of the cache files, let the browsers handle it themselves. Firefox, for example, has an internal index system for keeping track on cache files as well as a scheduling system for database maintenance tasks (Firefox uses sqlite databases for quite a few things).

Deleting cache files or vacuuming sqlite databases manually can have some unwanted side effects.

Browsers can be set to delete certain data when the browser is closed. This, IMHO again, is the best way to get rid of unwanted things (cache, cookies…) after a browsing session ends.

2 Likes

I’ve found it much easier to use BleachBit to remove unwanted junk from Linux installs. Using this solution has a HUGE advantage in that I don’t have to concern myself with details about each application I desire to be cleaned. I’ve been using B_B for 5 years without mishap.

If one is motivated everything accomplished by B_B can be accomplished by scripting and automation. Certainly there’s a HUGE advantage to a DIY solution in that you have ultimate control.

Hi

Good morning @anon42388993

Since i did read ‘‘You will need to spend some time learning how to use Synaptic.’’ i got headache,lol :unamused:
Do you think i just can type in the terminal command ‘‘sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean’’ and doing this weekly will work out for my system ??? i have set the browser with ‘‘Firefox will : never remember history’’ and i do click daily ''clear all current history ''just in case :stuck_out_tongue:
Suggestions ???

By the way … since the first time i did use the sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean in the terminal command,my battery got a longer life,was in 7.2 and asking me to change/replace the battery,now,since i did use the sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean my battery is no longer disturbing me or telling me to change the battery (now in 10.4) anyway,i have a new one just waiting for the old one to end :wink:

Thanks for your help @pfeiffep

Maybe i should keep it in mind and try BB some day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for your reply back @RandyNose :slight_smile: