BleachBit same as ccleaner

Just install Synaptic Package Manager and it will notify you when to clean.

sudo apt install synaptic

also the command would be

sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean

Notice just “apt” can also be used instead of “apt-get”

man apt
1 Like

@anon42388993

I just need to open the terminal command and type or copy n’ paste sudo apt install synaptic,then the system automatically will let me know when to clean the system ?
You said also the command would be sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean,you mean i can install any of both and i will get a notification on when to clean ???

Synaptic PM is the GUI for apt (apt-get) package manager. No terminal needed, its a clickable operation.

You will need to spend some time learning how to use Synaptic.

So if you want it, use the above terminal command to install it. Or use the welcome app.

You won’t get a notification to clean. Unless you’re find yourself running out of disk space, and your PC is sluggish, I wouldn’t bother with trying to keep things “clean” all of the time.
:smile_cat:

But back to the Black and White statements. It might have been HIS understanding, and why he thought a Linux Desktop was better.

:coffee:

I must somewhat agree with your friend, @Sexybaldguy; IMHO BleachPit for Linux is a solution to a problem *nix systems generally don’t have.

The main selling point of BleachPit for Windows is that it speeds up the computer. And it does. This is due to the way Windows internals work, monolithic registry being the major culprit and already discussed in this thread.

In Linux, the majority of the disk space freed by BleachPit comes from browser cache files. Unless you are hard pressed with disk space, I’d say let the caches do what they are designed to do: speed up your browsing resulting in better user experience.

If you must get rid of the cache files, let the browsers handle it themselves. Firefox, for example, has an internal index system for keeping track on cache files as well as a scheduling system for database maintenance tasks (Firefox uses sqlite databases for quite a few things).

Deleting cache files or vacuuming sqlite databases manually can have some unwanted side effects.

Browsers can be set to delete certain data when the browser is closed. This, IMHO again, is the best way to get rid of unwanted things (cache, cookies…) after a browsing session ends.

2 Likes

I’ve found it much easier to use BleachBit to remove unwanted junk from Linux installs. Using this solution has a HUGE advantage in that I don’t have to concern myself with details about each application I desire to be cleaned. I’ve been using B_B for 5 years without mishap.

If one is motivated everything accomplished by B_B can be accomplished by scripting and automation. Certainly there’s a HUGE advantage to a DIY solution in that you have ultimate control.

Hi

Good morning @anon42388993

Since i did read ‘‘You will need to spend some time learning how to use Synaptic.’’ i got headache,lol :unamused:
Do you think i just can type in the terminal command ‘‘sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean’’ and doing this weekly will work out for my system ??? i have set the browser with ‘‘Firefox will : never remember history’’ and i do click daily ''clear all current history ''just in case :stuck_out_tongue:
Suggestions ???

By the way … since the first time i did use the sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean in the terminal command,my battery got a longer life,was in 7.2 and asking me to change/replace the battery,now,since i did use the sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean my battery is no longer disturbing me or telling me to change the battery (now in 10.4) anyway,i have a new one just waiting for the old one to end :wink:

Thanks for your help @pfeiffep

Maybe i should keep it in mind and try BB some day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for your reply back @RandyNose :slight_smile:

Hi @samuvuo

I have mozilla firefox set to ''firefox will : never remember history and for just in case i click on clear all current history daily.

I don’t know what the connection is, but nice to know.

As for a schedule job, you can make it a weekly cron job if you want. If I wanted it scheduled I would have it in the cron.monthly, but you can put it in cron.weekly if you want. There’s just not that much to clean.

And last, as stated above. Cleaning the cache (autoclean) is not very important to us with large hard drives.

1 Like

Thanks for the help @anon42388993

The only concern to make the cron.monthly work with a schedule is if the day it is set to make the clean i dont use my PC …i guess is better to do it manually ?

And to finish here,how can i change my log in password at the beginning of the session with Ubuntu ??? i mean the first thing we need to do to get into the system ?

Doing it manually works for me, but if you want:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/anacron.8.html

1 Like

Anacron is installed by default (ubuntu-mate-desktop pulls it in) and handles the daily, weekly and monthly cron jobs.

So to answer @Sexybaldguy 's question: the cron tasks (ie cron.monthly) will be run the next time you log in, if you don’t use the PC “on the scheduled day”.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help @samuvuo :slight_smile:

Good to know about it,Windows Microsoft will stay just like a bad memory,Ubuntu Mate is the best i’ve ever known until now :blush:

Look at this app, its better than bleachbit in my opinion and works only on linux:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/stacer-in-software-boutique/11761

1 Like

You all will probably laugh, but I still use the Janitor function the comes with Ubuntu Tweak. I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but the few times I tried BleachBit (non administrative mode) my system failed to reboot. I have never had an issue with Janitor.

1 Like

I don’t see it in Boutique

1 Like

@jaybo

Its not on the boutique, but you can download from the link on the post, try it its pretty good.

1 Like

Hello @Pablo_Perez_Gutierre

First,sorry for the late reply,have had issues trying to log in … until now i could :smile:

I didn’t see that one in the software boutique,it seems to be good :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your reply back and your help !!!