Brisk Menu might be coming to MATE

https://solus-project.com/2016/12/11/this-week-in-solus-install-40/

I’m glad to hear that Ikey from Solus might bring the new menu that is desperately needed in MATE. Here he talks about it if anyone wants to listen:

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Areas of Improvement - A Quick Recap

That’s the Whisker menu barely disguised.

Solus MATE has this already, Arch has it, how do we go about to getting Brisk menu on Ubuntu MATE right now?

And yes, I know it is not finished.

I just got it to work and so far so good. I’m running 16.10. It’s under heavy development, so it’s at your own risk! Here’s what I did:

1. Download the latest development release from Github. Make sure you download the tar.xz file at the top. I’m assuming the filename is brisk-menu-0.2.0.tar.xz. Cange it if you are installing a different version.
  2. Open a terminal where your file is downloaded, probably ~/Downloads.
  3. Expand the archive:
    tar -xvf brisk-menu-0.2.0.tar.xz
  4. Move into the directory:
    cd brisk-menu-0.2.0
  5. Compile and install:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr make sudo make install
  6. Right click your panel, choose “Add to Panel…”, and search for “Brisk Menu”.

• Without the configure prefix it installs in /usr/local by default, which didn’t seem to work for me.
  • You will almost certainly get an error about missing dependencies in the compile stages. Install them and run the last command again. Unfortunately I first tried this a few days ago – without the configure prefix so it didn’t work – and I didn’t note down what I needed to install.
  • You can uninstall by running sudo make uninstall in the same directory.
1 Like

Thanks for the instructions, I gonna try on 16.04 :grinning:

Can’t hurt to try, but I think it requires GTK+ 3, while MATE in 16.04 is GTK+ 2. I guess it will come down to how much it depends on GTK+ 3 MATE-specific libraries that are not in 16.04 versus general GTK+ 3 Ubuntu/GNOME libraries that might be in 16.04.

I think your right… I got this on ./configure --prefix=/usr

`configure: error:

Package requirements (
libmate-menu >= 1.16.0

) were not met:

Requested ‘libmate-menu >= 1.16.0’ but version of libmate-menu is 1.14.0`

1 Like

Here are all the required libraries that need to be installed :

• libgtk-3-dev
  • libmate-menu-dev
  • libmate-panel-applet-dev
  • libghc-gio-dev

A complete command would therefor be sudo apt install libgtk-3-dev libmate-menu-dev libmate-panel-applet-dev libghc-gio-dev

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

A fresh install doesn’t include the compiler and autotools (IIRC), so if you’ve never compiled something youprobably also need to

sudo apt install autoconf automake build-essential

Thanks a lot!

This is what I needed on fresh install of 16.10:

• build-essential
  • libglib2.0-dev
  • libgtk-3-dev
  • libmate-menu-dev
  • libmate-panel-applet-dev

sudo apt install build-essential libglib2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev libmate-menu-dev libmate-panel-applet-dev

The only issue I have with this build of Brisk Menu is that it doesn’t have “Preferences” category and as result searching from menu for items in that category, “Mate Tweak” for example, doesn’t come up with a result. Small potatoes :slight_smile:

Still IMHO the most useful menu of the available options.

Now all is left to figure out how to customize clock font (size) and I will finally have a Desktop Environment that checks all the boxes I need. Makes me happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can the Mate Tweak app be opened in another way? (can’t test it atm :frowning: )

Yes, in Control Center.

1 Like

wow thats great, this is the kind of innovation Mate needs to stay future proof. I highly appreciate this kind of work! Keep going :heart_eyes:

Martin announced a PPA for Brisk Menu, for 16.10 and 17.04.

2 Likes

It’s nice and fast, but I like how the Mate menu changes the applications list on hover over the categories, Brisk menu requires mouse clicks.

That’s the kind of feedback you should make upstream ^^
Maybe a feature request on github?
Cheers

Done.

[Length requirement]

1 Like