Browser consistently crashes MATE desktop session

I say, leave this topic open, just in case somebody else has the same problem that you do and they want to downgrade Mesa. And, if/when this gets resolved in 22.04, maybe somebody can announce here that the problem doesn't exist anymore.

2 Likes

I have exactly the same problem as CitizenUnderdog. With 20.04, my pc works good, but with 22.04, it is exactly as described by CitizenUnderdog. I also reinstalled 20.04 and it works. My pc is an Asus TravelMate.

I may have found some additional info:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8689668.html?sid=c6094a36fecd8b09d6eaa5e49b129273

Thanks for the link @tkn

I am not knowledgeable enough to apply the information in any sort of fix, but there seems to be some correlation with my install. I am using an older laptop with integrated Intel graphics. So I suspect some sort of issue with x server as well.

I'm having the same issue, running on a Lenovo x201. Identical to CitizenUnderdog.

I got a clean bill of health from memtest86+ and haven't been able to see anything suspicious in journalctl.

How do I downgrade my mesa driver?

Hi, @ubuntu_101422

I've searched the web for the specifications ("specs") for Lenovo x201 ("Lenovo ThinkPad x201") and I see that it has an "Intel HD Graphics" as its "Graphics card" (specifications available, for instance, at "Lenovo ThinkPad X201 3680 specs and prices. Lenovo ThinkPad X201 3680 comparison with rivals").

Well, here in the Ubuntu MATE Community, in another similar discussion - Ubuntu Mate 22.04 auto ending Sessions when I do something specific - the user @esan_br (Elias Andrade), that has a "Dell Latitude E6410" which also has an "Intel HD Graphics" as its Graphics card, solved the issue that was happening to him, in "Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS" ("Jammy Jellyfish") by:

1 - Creating a file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf"

2 - Putting the following content in that file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

3 - And then rebooting the computer.

Link to that post from @esan_br that he wrote on 1st October 2022:

In that same discussion, the user @Ygor6889 (Ygor Oliveira Silva), that also has a computer with an "Intel HD Graphics" video card, says that @esanbr's solution worked for him as well:

So, @ubuntu_101422, I suggest that you try @esan_br's solution, see if it works for you and then reply again in this same topic where we are now, to tell if that solution also worked for you (or not).

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This seems to have resolve the issue - thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks Ric, this also works for me.
I had an old Desktop PC with intel G41 onboard video that crashes constantly with Ubuntu Mate 22.04 fresh install (trying to instal an app, opening some files, opening some pages, etc.) and with your post i resolve the issue.

2 Likes

I have a machine that has the Intel GM45 chipset and uses the i915 driver that was crashing from both Firefox and Chrome browsers, and the 20-intel.conf file listed above seems to have solved it, however this change created a new problem... the menus from the Indicator Applet (v 1.26.0) pull down in a relative position far from the indicator itself, in my case the Indicator Applet is located top-right, and the menus appear at about the midpoint of the horizontal Panels bar. Better than crashing, but annoying and difficult to use...

2 Likes

Welcome @billstei to the community!

This tweak has resolved several issues I was having.
Now I might upgrade a couple more devices to Kinetic.

1 Like

Thank you ricmarques!
I have been trying for weeks to get Ubuntu Mate 22.04
working on an old HP Pavillion with an i915 chipset.
Was about to abandon the Mate desktop after years of
using it.
Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Welcome @oohiggins to the community!

1 Like

I finally figured out what was happening when I use the 20-intel.conf configuration, the desktop is confused (?) about which of the two video/monitors with their respective resolutions was being used, apparently swapping the two sizes... so in the Control Center --> Displays I disabled (Off radio button) the "Unknown VGA1" that had a smaller resolution, and set the main display with the higher resolution to Primary.

As far as whether the inclusion of the 20-intel.conf works or not, I can definitely say: Yes it Does -- and removing it had my browser crashing within minutes.

Edit: It occurs to me now that the two monitor layouts were overlapping, so probably all I had to do was set one next to the other, rather than completely disable one of them...

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It solved my problem on an ACER TravelMate 8372Z equipped with Intel HD Graphics. But in order to edit 20-Intel.conf, I had to use an USB key containing ubuntu mate 20.04.

2 Likes

Ubuntu 22.04 randomly crashes when clicking web links. It happens with Firefox, Chrome and Brave, which proves that it's not the browser(s). I also ran a memtest for 30 minutes, with 100% success. I think it is very unlikely that it is a hardware problem, but very likely that it is Ubuntu problem. I ran into a YT video: (Ubuntu 22.04 Is Unstable & Systemd OOMD Is Why! - YouTube) that explain the OOMD Ubuntu problem which was never fixed over the years?!. The terminal also warns me about broken packages, which doesn't seem to be repairable. Mate used to work fine before, but when I uninstalled snap, because Ubuntu was getting super sluggish, it started to crash randomly WHITOUT ANY WARNING, so I'm loose everything I do in the session. What a shame! Ubuntu Mate now behaves worst than Windows 95, aka blue screen crashes...

1 Like

Welcome @Abraxus to the community!

I find it strange that you are experiencing so many crashes with Ubuntu MATE. I have had no such issues since I started originally with Ubuntu 10.04. Maybe I've just been lucky? Now UM 22.04. Ubuntu has been rock solid for me. Perhaps there is a hardware issue with your UM and your PC? Try running the web browsers without hardware acceleration? I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with Ubuntu MATE crashing so often. Another option would be to redownload the UM ISO and test it for integrity:

And choose the option to reinstall UM (Won't delete your data) <-- I think that option is still there, to just reinstall the OS...

When you uninstalled snap -- is that when the issue started happening? Having snap installed does not make UM sluggish as experience by me, The snap apps used to take longer to open under some scenarios, but should have no impact on the speed of your machine. I use several applications installed as a snap with no issues. However, the only time i had issues with UM was when I failed to check the integrity of the ISO and installed it. Checking it after the fact showed me that the ISO was not perfect. The re-download and testing of the ISO file proved to be a great idea and my last install was made using that ISO and I have zero crashes on it.

Good luck with your system. Welcome to the Ubuntu MATE community!

1 Like

Hi Bombilla and mickee! Thank you mickee for your suggestions. I had some issues to take care off and now I'm back. Yes, the sudden crashes happened few days after I uninstalled snap. After snap removal, my PC was much more responsive, including faster shutdown and web surfing. I made some gnome and auto system upgrade recently, and tried to repair broken packages without success. I didn't surf much these last days, so I don't know for sure if these intermittent crashes will still occur. I also made some room on my main HD; Before, I was running my HD close to the 10% free 'dangerous zone', so I bleached it (mainly app and UM cache). Well, so far I'm not experiencing some strange crashes!! I'll test more on the upcoming days. If they happen again, I keep your ISO suggestion in mind mickee. Thanks a lot and have a good week-end as well as to the Mate community...

1 Like

@CitizenUnderdog I have experienced the same issue since the recent upgrade version.
I actually posted here but your post seems to have more traction & a solution or two!;