Since updating to 22.04 - randomly boots out to black screen

I have never had a problem with Ubuntu MATE- I have always found it stable & no-fuss, thus when I had a cleanup of my PC a few months I re-installed the linux OS (I dual boot) I chose Ubuntu MATE. However since the recent update the PC (whilst running Ubuntu MATE) randomly just boots out - screen goes black with no warning eventually loads into the boot manager.
Just earlier today, I came back to the PC after being away from it for an hour & it wouldn't get past the screensaver- no amount of moving the mouse or key bashing refreshed the screen to log back in....
I am curious if anyone else is having these random events ....

Paul

1 Like

Welcome @blueinca to the community!

Perhaps there is a similarity with the following topic :

2 Likes

Certainly sounds like my symptoms too for sure....

2 Likes

My screensaver does the same thing. After looking for multiple solutions, where none worked, I decided to install i3lock and just use that with turning the screen off, as I needed to find a way to force a password on resume from screensaver, as I leave my PC on 24/7 and I needed the security. To this day the screensaver locks up the keyboard (I think that's what doesn't work) on resume. Irritating for sure. Note this issue is on both my Ubuntu MATE 22.04 installs, desktop and laptop. I filed a bug report so it would be good if you confirmed there that it affects you.

1 Like