Caja window scrolling

Hello Mate Community,
While in a Caja’s maximized window, it can’t scroll down to the lowest bottom area of caja’s window where the last row of icons reside (Ctrl + 1). A workaround is to unmaximize the window, so it can fully scroll down thus revealing the last row of file icons.
Is this a known bug? Is there a solved status?

My best compliments

Hi @nbah07, This sounds very much like this:

I never use icon view but tested 17.10 Beta and it is... STILL... an issue.

Maybe @monsta can give us insight into what component might be responsible for this.

According to this it was fixed in 17.04 but I see otherwise. It’s tied directly to window width in both Caja and Control Center. Did the fix get lost? @Wimpy?

For awhile in 16.10 Control Center happened to open at a bad width. I hope the fix wasn’t default window size.

Can’t reproduce that in 17.10…

Sorry for the ping, yeah I can’t reproduce either. Should have checked before.

Caja or Control Center. Either does it (Caja in Icons).
The opening width of Control Center is no longer a "bad" width like it was in 16.10.
Set width to just below where it changes to next higher columns.
My VMs are not full of files so I'll use Control Center.

That is as far as I can scroll down with slider or mouse wheel. This is 17.10 updated from Alpha. The width is just before 4 columns appears.

You still don't see it?

EDIT: Hadn't updated in 3 days but no change. Here it is just before 3 columns. This is close to 16.10s default size.

The bad band is only a dozen pixels or so but someone is going to hit it. I'm sure @nbah07 hits it maximized.

1 Like

@Bill_MI Following your lead, I was able to exactly reproduce this behavior in 17.10 beta installed bare metal. Control panel just won’t finish a scroll if you set its’ width just below a 4 icon width or a 3 icon width. Otherwise, control panel scrolls as expected. Weird…

2 Likes

Hi @mdooley and thanks for the confirm. I used the 16.10 example in the bug report because it was so easy to reproduce as Control Center opened bad by default. But today it takes more effort to see the bug which never went away AFAIK.

@monsta and @ouroumov, Do you see this in Control Center? I ask because in two 17.10 VMs I find Caja is very intermittent and may involve disappearing scroll bars and other settings getting too complex to find a pattern. I definitely create modes I cannot create the bug.

But Control Center has the issue 100% so far.

That’s it, I was able to reproduce it that way before, but forgot about it :slight_smile:
Yes, m-c-c is still affected in 17.10.

But now we’re talking about two apps here… and as for Caja, it had been fixed several months ago, and the fix is included in 1.18.2, so I don’t know why it would happen in 17.10. For reference, upstream pull request with the fix:

You can open /usr/lib/ or /usr/share/, they’re always full of dirs and files :slight_smile: