MATE Control Center: can't scroll all the way down in 16.10

I recently upgraded from 16.04 to 16.10, and now there's an oddity in the Control Center window. For whatever reason, I can't scroll more than 2/3 of the way down:

In the screenshot, I've scrolled down as far as I can go. Clicking the "groups" on the right doesn't take me down any further than "Look and Feel". If I resize the window or go full screen then I can get to the other options.

What could be causing this. The problem doesn't seem to have affected any other programs. Is there any way to reset this window so I can see all of the options without having to go full screen every time?

Thanks.

1 Like

Interesting, I also see it in a virtual machine. It happens when it first starts at its default size.

Change the window width smaller or larger. And it snaps out of it. Same?

It’s like starting fails to initialize something but changing width forces it to a good value. Fascinating. Anyone else seeing it?

EDIT: I take that back. There are widths with the problem. If I drag the width back where it started, within a few pixels, it goes bad again. Forget initialization, something isn’t calculating right.

EDIT2: Here’s what’s happening. As width is increased smaller to larger the app space changes from 1-icon to 2-icon to 3-icon etc. wide displays, right? Well, just before each switch is about a dozen pixels of width where the problem shows up. So it’s coincidental it happens to start at a bad width (at least in my VM).

Last, it happens with all the Marco and compiz window managers, too.

2 Likes

I have found this to also happen in Caja in 16.10

1 Like

Yep, Caja shows it’s related to icons since it only occurs in icon view. Other icon examples like Appearance-Themes and CompizConfig Settings Manager doesn’t show it.

Actually Bill, it did it in compact view a few times for me in Caja as well. So, I wonder if it is the window manager? I was running marco with the built-in compton at the time.

I have just re-read your previous post Bill where you explained you have seen it with all of the windows managers. So, I am currently at a loss as to an explanation

Hi Steve. I see it now in compact view except - it’s HORIZONTAL scrolling affected and height sensitive, not width. I run 100% list view so these other modes aren’t my forte. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to know it’s not just me. I haven’t been near my computer in a couple of days, so I can’t provide any more feedback at the moment, but this sounds like a general bug in 16.10.

Hi @Mountain_Man, I just created a bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1637723

Anyone. Affected? Corrections? Additional info? Please add what you can.

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate you taking an interest in this. It’s been a busy week for me, so I haven’t been able to do any more troubleshooting to provide additional feedback.

@Bill_MI thank you for the reply. That trick worked.