Celluloid, Terminated Abnormally: Reason No Audio Or Video Played, 22.04

Hi. Just a quick post and wondering if there's a way to fix this celluloid error--I had no problems playing DVD's on Focal.

Try to reproduce the error but run celluloid from the terminal. The terminal will output more information about what is happening.

2 Likes

This is the command I entered: celluloid --mpv-options="--msg-level=all=trace --log-file=/tmp/mpv.log" dvd://

I cannot upload the log file; Is there a way to upload the log file in a format this forum allows?

Hi, @Anthony_Craig :slight_smile:

As far as I can see, when people need to put a log file in a Post here in the "Ubuntu MATE Community" discussion forums, they either:

A) Put the content of the log file (if it's not very long) directly in their post, typically in a "Preformatted text" section.

-or-

B) Use "Ubuntu Pastebin" - https://pastebin.ubuntu.com - to create a paste with the content of the log file, and then post a link to the the paste you create. "Ubuntu Pastebin" requires that you have a (free) "Ubuntu One" login account. Note that pastes that are inserted using "Ubuntu Pastebin" can NOT be deleted from "Ubuntu Pastebin" after their creation! What you can do, if you wish your paste to expire is, during the creation of the Paste, change the value of the "Expiration" dropdown list from the default value of "None" to a different value ("A day", " A week", "A month" or "A year").

-or-

C) Use another "Paste bin" service like the original "Pastebin" - https://pastebin.com/ - to create a paste with the content of the log file, and then post a link to the the paste you create. If you wish to be able to delete the paste later, it's important to be logged in to the Pastebin account while creating the Paste, so you can delete the Paste afterwards.

In either case, read the "log" before making it available, to make sure you're not disclosing any information that may be in the log that you wish to keep private!

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info, Ric. Here's the log file. Celluloid Error, Reason: No Video Or Audio Played

2 Likes

You're most welcome, Anthony :slight_smile: By the way: I've just tested the playback of a Commercial DVD movie that I own in an old "HP Pavilion dv6" laptop computer that still has a DVD drive, and that is running the recently released Ubuntu MATE 23.04 (Lunar Lobster). When I inserted the DVD disk in the drive, I got a dialog box prompting me to open it in Celluloid, but when I accepted that, I got the same error that you got:

Error

Playback was terminated abnormally. Reason: no audio or video data played.

OK

I got that solved by:

1 - Installing the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" package (maybe not necessary?): sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

2 - Running sudo apt install libdvd-pkg

3 - Running sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

4 - Reboot.

After I have done that, the DVD movie started playing correctly in "Celluloid".

I suggest that you read the related following article, if you haven't already: "How to Play DVD in Ubuntu 22.04, 20.04 and 18.04" - https://itsfoss.com/play-dvd-ubuntu-1310/.

By the way: you wrote that you "had no problems playing DVD's on Focal [ Fossa (20.04) ]" but I found that you had posted a similar topic back in July 2022, when you were running Ubuntu MATE 20.04 (Focal Fossa). In that topic, you were helped by @Drc (Brian) although you haven't replied back in that topic. Do you remember if you tried @Drc's suggestions back then and if they worked for you? Link to that topic:

2 Likes

Hi, Ric. I probably installed the library Brian mentioned for Focal, as I didn't have a problem running multiple DVDs. I guess I was sloppy and didn't click the solution button--Sorry. I checked the solution mark since you brought it to my attention that I hadn't either marked"Solution" or replied.
I'm typing on my phone now and will try what you suggested in a little bit. Thanks for the help.

2 Likes