ClamAV/Antiviral for Software Boutique?

Discussion continued from Programs to add to the Software Boutique:

I 2nd @maro’s proposal about an AntiVirus app, in fact I think it should be included in the LIVE CD!. :smiley:

So I’ve had ClamAV on the list of things to possibly add to Welcome forever. What stops me is that it is not intuitive to use and doesn’t really fall into the “best in class” description, even though it’s the only option.

Are there any another GUI antivirus solutions that can be installed via an apt repository?

Including on the Live image is a good idea though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this document any use @Wimpy?

1 Like

I disagree with the inclusion of an AV; none of the offerings is of quality and, worse, it will give newcomers a false sense of security.

2 Likes

I disagree with your disagreement @Joss, I think it will give newcomers a better sense of security knowing they have something to fall back on should the need arise.

ClamAV isn’t that bad and does find viral infections even though it doesn’t look pretty!. :smiley:

In what sense do you think an anti-virus program (or a firewall or a VPN for that matter) will give newcomers a false sense of security?

Well @Wimpy for ClamAV I found two programs that provide a GUI for it:

ClamTk

Website
Launchpad

ppa:landronimirc/clamtk
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install clamtk

Antiviral

Website
Launchpad

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/nautilus-extensions
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install antiviral
1 Like

Hi @Cold,

is it only for Nautilus?, according to the PPA it is?. :smiley:

@wolfman

I found in the comments this from the author:

En los próximos días quiero hacerla integración para Caja y Nemo, no solo de antiviriral, sino de otros complementos como Nautilus-Pdf-Tools,Nautilus-Image-Tools y alguna que otra mas…

Espero poder sacar las nuevas versiones durante la próxima semana.

Which says that in the following days he will be looking to make Caja and Nemo integrations for Antiviral and his other programs. And that new versions will come out in the following week.

Also, found this article from av-test.org, and it seems clamav wasn’t that great detecting windows malware, and so-so with linux malware.

But something is better than nothing.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, one of my friends using Windblows recently got a known virus and the AVG free AV app didn’t stop it, he had to run the AVG free scan in safe mode to rid himself of the bug so even the better AV apps aren’t all they are jacked up to be!. :smiley:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Programs to add to the Software Boutique

@Cold Antiviral is a nice find. I’ll try porting it to Caja.

2 Likes

AntiViral now has a Caja plugin called antiviral-for-caja :slight_smile:

5 Likes