Compiz sets Weather Applet Size

DISCLAIMER:
This tip is for users already familiar with or running compiz and I do NOT suggest it as a general fix for Weather Applet window sizing. I welcome an easier fix anyone can use (and hope this encourages it :-)).

THE PROBLEM:
I have used the Mate Panel "Weather Report" applet for many years but it became a pain after Ubuntu 10.04 because something along the way changed so it no longer remembers its window size. To read the forecasts or see the full custom radar map I use, I ALWAYS have to resize the window! Arrrggghhhhhh!

WHAT I CAME UP WITH:
Using the compiz "Window Rules" feature, I added a sizing rule on my Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 system then checked it also works perfectly on Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 beta2 running in a virtual machine.

A POTENTIAL ISSUE:
One thing about this method, setting a window size means just that. If you drag the window to a different size than defined it will revert on a focus change! I don't care this happens because once I set the rule size I never really need to change it.

PROCEDURE:

1. Open the CompizConfig Settings Manager and click on "Windows Rules" to open its setting dialog.

I do NOT suggest enabling it at this point since open windows can interact as you change their settings. Some may like this interaction but others may not.

1. Tab to "Size Rules" -> "New"

2. Here's a picture of exactly my settings and you can just put them in exactly as shown. It IS case sensitive.

There is also a selection tool "+" that can grab attributes of open windows if you're so inclined.

My 704 x 616 setting can be changed to your liking, of course. It nicely matches my custom radar map and forecast.

1. Close the edit dialog.

2. Enable "Window Rules" and test it! The Weather applet should permanently come up at the size you set. Tweak the size as desired ("Edit" feature).

All Comments Welcomed.

3 Likes