Confused about grub updates!

Hello wise members of the community!
Today when I was trying to update several grub updates, I got the message, a new version of grub is available, but the version installed currently has been locally modified.
Than I followed with the option, keep the local version currently installed.
I did modified a grub file with the help from wolfman´s post: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to-show-grub-menu-in-ubuntu-with-only-a-single-os-installed/821
Now my question is, should i have made another option, for example : Install the package maintainer’s version.
Thank you in advance for any response.

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-31-generic i686
MATE 1.14.1
Grub version : 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1

Hi @Bombilla,

under normal circumstances you should have installed the newer version and then modified it to the way you want it!, so the answer is yes!.

I recommend always replacing any files with the newer version!. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello there wolfman! , thanks for your reply.

Is it still possible to get the newer version and if necessary modify the file afterwards.
(I did modified it because when I installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 for the first time, I couldn’t get grub pressing any key)
But is there newer version than 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1 ???
So… the questions are? Can I reinstall it with synaptic, or is there a command line for the terminal.
As you might have noticed I’m still in my learning curve, and I appreciate any advice you can give me.:slight_smile:

Hi @Bombilla,

use Synaptic as you suggest!.

As far as I am aware, the version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1 is the current one which I have installed after today’s updates!.

Right click it in Synaptic and mark for re-installation if you haven’t already done so and then modify your Grub file afterwards!. :smiley:

1 Like

As wolfman said, modifying your grub file is the recommended procedure.

I do not see it as a big concern so I pass on the dev upgrade until a point release comes out (16.04.1; 16.04.2 and so on).

2 Likes

Thanks wolfman and v3xx for your replies and answers, I´m not confused anymore.
Problem solved!
Till next time…and may the force be with you!:thumbsup:

2 Likes