Enabling Indicators in Ubuntu MATE 14.10 and 15.04

Indicators are enabled by default in Ubuntu MATE 14.04 but for Ubuntu MATE 14.10 and 15.04 some configuration is required. The big caveat is that most of the Canonical created indicators dropped GTK2 sometime ago therefore the usefulness of these GTK2 indicators is limited. That said, it does provide a way have a really nice sound indicator.

Install MATE indicator container

Make sure you are using Ubuntu Utopic 14.10 or 15.04. Do not install the recommended packages as that will install all manner of cruft you simply do not require for Ubuntu MATE.

If you want Indicator support the do then start a terminal (CTRL + ALT + t) and do the following:

Ubuntu MATE 14.10

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/utopic-mate
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends indicator-application-gtk2 indicator-sound-gtk2 mate-indicator-applet

Ubuntu MATE 15.04

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/vivid-mate
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends indicator-application-gtk2 indicator-sound-gtk2 mate-indicator-applet

Activate indicators

You can use MATE Tweak, which should now display Indicator versions of the various panel layouts, to enable a panel layout that has Indicator support and it will automatically activate the required applets.

NOTE! Changing panel layouts will destroy any customisations you have made to your panels.

6 Likes

Thank you very much :smiley:

In ubuntu-mate 15.04 beta1 i can’t get working indicator-application, already following this step but nothing change, indicator application still not work.

When I check Ubuntu MATE PPA, it doesn’t have any indicator-application package.
Can you please explain the right way to add working indicator-application in ubuntu-mate 15.04 beta1.

1 Like

Same issue here with the nightly 15.04 build.

The opening post has been updated with accurate steps.

@Wimpy I upgraded from a barely used 15.04 to 15.10. I was mostly working on 14.04.
So, I’m on that system and there is no sound indicator.
I tried to install indicator-application-gtk2 indicator-sound-gtk2 mate-indicator-applet (without uing a ppa).
Should try to use a ppa ? The vivid one or the wily one ?

Thanks

Indicators are integrated in Ubuntu MATE 15.10 onward, you can enable them using MATE Tweak.

Hi Wimpy, Love your work...... I enabled indicators in 16.04. It worked fine but it is now deselected, maybe when I saved my panel layout? The only thing that I notice any difference on is rhythmbox controls are gone.