Everything is GREEN!

Might somebody be able to point me in the right direction? I am looking for a blue accented version. In other words, everywhere where are you see green I would like to see blue. I like everything else about this desktop environment, I just would like to see something different than this gawdy green. No offense to those who like this particular color.

Specifically, I want everything to look exactly like it is, except the color. Is there an Ambient Mate blue theme that anyone is aware of that looks identical to this default theme?

I use ARC DARKER now, and it has blue accents instead of green for menu selection etc... I like it!!

You may be able to modify the theme files and replace the green color with blue

The elementary-kde-blue icon set does exactly what I wanted. That coupled with the arc-dark theme. Thanks!

Oh hey, I figured out ow to get numix-folders working so people no longer need to roam about looking for a competent, colour-matching icon set when they can just roll their own.

I just wish more themes exercised something similar for their own icon suites so users aren't locked to a certain colour.

If you love Arc Dark, you'll love Linux Mint's Mint-Y series of themes. Wrote a guide about it here.

Might remodel that guide since the URLs had changed since, just grab packages for latest Linux Mint and install it. No time for redos as of present. What you get in return are a bunch of Greybird and Arc derivatives with varying colours so you can have a rotating selection of Arc-alikes with corresponding icon suites. Did it.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Colour variants of Ambiant/Radiant-MATE themes

For quite some time now, I use Numix theme and Obsedian icon set. While testing 19.10 Beta, Caja showed blue, but I don't know what theme this was as I upgraded from 19.04 to 19.10 Beta in Virtualbox.

sudo apt install numix-gtk-theme

Because Numix has got a dark window border, I use the Ambiant Mate to see where I have to close the windows.
I downloaded the Obsidian icon set from ??? It has got 10 or more colors. I like the Light-brown one.

Personally I like the green color however on a more pragmatic approach it could be a very nice choice if future releases would have some sort of "wizard" for first logins, such as creating username, selecting the application favourites, color theme and possibly other things such as a picture, etc.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might be interested in numix-folders but you have to follow my gksu installation guide first because that software uses outdated methods of elevation to make it work.

Funny thing: gksu isn't necessary at all if you're modifying a copy of the Numix icons in ~/.icons using that tool but you still cannot run it without gksu because there's no failover (i.e. telling the user it'll only work for a local copy of the icons) in the case a user isn't in /etc/sudoers.

Words cannot express the stupidity this is, and the anger I feel about that. (Because they'd be censored!)

If anyone's looking for a recoloured set of the default themes (Ambiant-MATE/Radiant-MATE) - come and test the unofficial ubuntu-mate-colours project:

@DLS Yes! I've been lingering for that sort of welcome wizard for a long time. Maybe when Welcome gets a major update. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I'm not interested in Numix icons, as I'm happy with my Obsidian icons. But I will give the ubuntu-mate-colours project a try in Virtualbox.

Somebody try my great theme! https://codeberg.org/gsbhasin84/Materiav2/src/branch/master/README.md

2 Likes

It's ok, actually pretty nice, but for me personally its to dark, though most dark themes have that problem, for me ambiant mate dark is the right shade of dark for a dark theme, the same reason I'm not a fan of the new yaru dark theme even though I generally prefer dark themes, but overall good work.
p.s. also on my setup the firefox back button is to light to see the icon very well, idk maybe it is a Materia issue though

edit: also your titlebar theme works really well with the menta theme which I am currently using, with the exception of csd app, I'm actually going to keep using it this way for a bit as I like the bigger buttons compared to menta

Software like the firewall or the lightdm settings remain white with the dark variant of the theme. Happens as well for other Materia variants like Vimix. Don't know how to fix it.
Other than that, looks cool.

Thanks! The Maia version is more easy on the eyes. The FF issue can be fixed my using my custom theme: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/materiav2-manjaro/

Is it installed in /usr/share/themes? If you install it in ~/.themes, that's probably the reason - the root user (which is needed for the firewall and lightdm settings) dosen't know where it's located. Try copying the theme dir to /usr/share/themes.

1 Like

It works indeed as intended once installed in /usr/share/themes.
I used to tweak Materia with change_color.sh and would always face this problem.
Thanks a lot !

No problem! Do you have any suggestions for my theme?

Am I really the only one who still likes the human themes and the original light themes from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS? No one is really saying that the green themes need to disappear but the lack of other colors really grates.

So change it, right?

Well the problem there is the green theme gets all the improvements and installing anything else leads down a path of broken icons and other elements to where you practially need to be a coder just to fix things to work normally again. I've never seen an desktop so fragile that just installing the wrong theme can completely break things like this! Somehow though the conflicts between GTK2 and GTK3 and multiple other things causes a complete break in the way the panel works or how the icons display in apps. That's why people are so insistent that they want official themes with muliple color choices--we want something in a different color but which is known to work and has the various fixes the default has had to repair various breakages over time. Just installing a new theme won't do that.