File chooser "Save as" starts searching rather than letting me rename the file to be saved

It sounds like a bug.

Hi, @mickee.

I got a feeling of déjà vu while reading this post of yours :slight_smile: After a few searches, I've found that you had posted a similar message about a month ago (on 8th August 2022), also here in the "Ubuntu MATE Community" discussion forums:

In that other topic of yours, @Norbert_X has replied the folowing:

... and then, in that same reply, @Norbert_X has pointed to the 2 following bugs in Launchpad:

Does that help? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh boy! A case of getting forgetful as I get older. Thanks for the reminder! I also now remember marking this bug as affects me. Thanks!

1 Like

I would recommend GTK+3 Classic.
May solve this problem

4 Likes

Try renaming the file while you are saving

So it shows the ppa to add and the update command but not mentioning name of file to install, at least I don't see it

There is no specific file to install.
You may see the changes in the behavior of the file chooser.

It still doing this after installing that PPA. But I still don't see how installing the PPA would correct this, or are you saying when I run sudo apt update it may update a file that is in that repo? Its been identified as a bug, so I guess I will have to wait for someone to look into it. Hopefully soon as its quite a big deal for me.

Why are you still questioning instead of doing what has to be done?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lah7/gtk3-classic
sudo apt-get update

and it works

1 Like

Hi, @mickee and @tatanka :slight_smile:

For the record, I have never tried "GTK+3 Classic" - https://launchpad.net/~lah7/+archive/ubuntu/gtk3-classic - created by Luke Horwell (@lah7 here in the "Ubuntu MATE Community"), but I think that I can help here a little bit, even so.

I see that in the web page "GitHub - lah7/gtk3-classic: Patches to bring back a traditional experience for GTK+3" there are more specific instructions to install "GTK+3 Classic", specifically the following instructions:

" (...)

Installation

(...)

Ubuntu 20.04, 21.10, 22.04

These packages are based on the original gtk+3.0 package, with the version suffixed with ~classic.

To install, add the repository and upgrade your packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lah7/gtk3-classic
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Available for these architectures: amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, powerpc and ppc64el.

To restore the original GTK3, use ppa-purge to restore the packages from Ubuntu's repository:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:lah7/gtk3-classic

(...) "

I hope that helps :slight_smile: You may also want to read the following 2 related posts written by @lah7 here in the Ubuntu MATE Community:

1 Like

Thanks @tatanka I did that. It doesn't work for me. I will try the dist-upgrade which I didn't do (full-upgrade)

mysterious.... hope dist-upgrade will help you.

Best wishes
tatanka

I have also installed gtk3-classic, upgraded, dist-upgraded, rebooted, and tested several times, but the issue remains.

Thanks,
Anibal

1 Like

welcome! Thanks for confirming.

Note: switched to Firefox - same issue. Will test above fix tonight.

I have now done the above steps on both my desktop and laptop, and both Firefox (using) and Chrome (not using) still exhibit this issue. I can't believe that no one else has this issue. I guess will have to wait and see if the reported bug gets looked at.

I just tried it and no issue here, it makes me wonder if it is hardware or configuration, but I have no idea

so that worked for you? It would seem hardware is unlikely as its happening on 2 different computers, my desktop (older) and my laptop (newer). I am trying to figure out the commonality between the 2.

I had no issue even when I tried so maybe something configuration related Idrk, maybe try it in a live session or with a new user and see if you can replicate it, because I cannot

1 Like

I am participating in Ubuntu MATE kinetic and the save as page works 100% fine there. I will do a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE 22.04. I think this will solve the issue. Issue solved with fresh install.