- Font Manager -

Hello,

on App Grid or Synaptic you can find this useful software to handle the fonts:
Font Manager
Here are some screenshots:

You can preview the installed fonts and Browse Fonts

You can compare fonts and see them with custom color and background

You can try a custom text

and delete a user font (system fonts can be disabled)
For example, as I installed other fonts by Synaptic, programs such as Libreoffice or Gimp came out with a long list of fonts, most duplicated or useless.
Of the Noto fonts, I have kept only Noto Sans Regular Italic Old, Mono Noto, Noto Sans and some few others and I deleted all the variants of the idioms.

Click on the question mark for guide.

4 Likes

Hallo

Thank you Mary for a very useful tip. I used this to clean up the too long list of fonts that were available in my LibreOffice. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the advice; I have already tried this software weeks before you posted. Unfortunately, this font manager does not run well on my computer, which is a 32-bit processor. I am asking the development teams at Ubuntu to seriously incorporate into the OS a native (built-in) font manager. I am not able to locate my installed fonts from the file cabinet, especially the ones in LibreOffice. I remember the days when LibreOffice font files were easy to locate and delete. It seems as if font management isn’t as easy in 2018. Thanks again.

Thank you, Mary, for the advice; I do apologize for the late reply, since I don't log in the forum as often as I should. My reply comes to you two years late and in the middle of COVID19! Who would have thought back then we would be at this point in time! I plan to do a better job returning to this forum; I have learned another way to manage my fonts via Administrator (superuser) privileges with my Caja desktop file manager...and it really does work! CTRL + H will bring up my hidden .local files under "share" and "fonts." The font manager app you had recommended did not work on my computer, it appeared to be corrupted after downloading it. The "superuser" management has been a lifesaver for me.

This is how my system works:
1 - Open your file manager and under "Computer" find the name of your system (usually it's your name or some name you chose when you first installed the OS).

2 - Look for the "Home" folder and select it (click). After that, select the "share" folder (it's the only folder for me as a subfolder of Home).

3 - After you open it, select "fonts." Now activate superuser (Administrator) privileges and enter your password. Press at the same time "CTRL + H" to activate all hidden files.

4 - A new window will open, allowing you to edit the folder as "superuser." Delete and manage your fonts inside this folder. Deleted fonts are erased from the system, so use with care. The "Move To Trash" command in the drop-down list will move and automatically delete any selected fonts under "superuser."