"Fun" with multiple displays

So right. I bought a television recently and I am presently using it as a second display. The problems I am having with this configuration are the problems I don’t have in Microsoft Windows. Allow me to break down what happens when using another display;

• The desktop icons, if you lean on them like I do appear on the primary display, however…
  • The main panel appears on the secondary display? What the hell?
  • Window list only shows windows on the present display (unconfirmed if this is a Compiz 0.8 thing.)
  • Notification area can only have one copy running regardless of how many panels you put it in.
  • Additionally, if you added them to multiple panels they’ll appear in the order you added them when removing them.
  • There is no such thing as panel duplication, or desktop icon duplication.

What the hell is going on with MATE where all of the above happens? Do people not run dual-head setups seeking to permit window interaction from another display? How I’ve seen Windows do this is rather smart;

• The user is allowed to close a window on any display, no mattter what.
  • Extraneous elements of the main panel are usually stripped (from what I had seen, though this can have drawbacks).
  • The user isn’t required to create two panels
  • When the display isn’t active (i.e. when the connection for the computer isn’t used, don’t know how Linux detects this), the desktop returns to single-head.

So I’d like to know; What’s going on here? Why is only the case of the end-user with all of their displays facing them satisfied, rather than the more common and casual case of an end-user purposing a television?

Hi Tiox,

what GPU do you have?, is it a driver issue?. :smiley:

It’s been a long while since I used multiple monitors with MATE, but pretty sure 16.04 (with Marco/Compiz 0.9) listed all the windows on the current workspace (including secondary monitor).

I think simply, MATE isn’t designed in mind for this use case in mind. It works okay if you have a primary display and not fussed for panels on secondary displays.

With multiple monitors in general, I’ve come across like windows flying about on connection changes or dialogues opening on the wrong screen - but these are likely the window manager’s responsibility.

I did some digging to see what issues are outstanding:

Problem with panels when using multiple monitors

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mate-panel/+bug/1714211

I think the best bet is to raise this “clone/duplicate panels across multiple monitors” feature like how Windows 10 does it upstream on their GitHub.