Getting emergency mode screen on boot up every time

Hi Everyone,

Getting emergency mode screen on boot up every time. I have flashed ubuntu-mate-15.10-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi-2.img.bz2 using windows platform.

Whenever i reboot the system, i am getting into emergency mode screen. I need to press ctrl+D to get out of the screen and enter the normal screen.

Any solution to this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Ashok Kumar Ponnaiah

I had the exact same issue. I couldn’t find a definite solution to the problem. I ran a diagnostic when I got the emergency mode terminal and realized that fsck failed with error code 4. So I realized it was a problem with the microSD card. I put it into my laptop to try and format it but it was giving me an error there too. Googled those errors and tried a couple of commands to fix it but it just didn’t happen. Luckily the card was just 8 days old and I could return it for a free replacement.
The most relevant reason for this problem that I could find after a lot of research online is that this problem could be caused due to the Pi shutting down randomly due to power cuts (this could be a major and recurring problem in a country like India) Again, it isn’t confirmed that this is the cause of the problem. But I believe it is the most likely. Mine was a SanDisk class 10 UHS-I card.
Hope this helps you.

Hi !
I had the same issue but I found a solution !
You need another computer under linux and put your pi sdcard in it.
If your RPI sdcard is /dev/sdb do :
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo umount /dev/sdb2
sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
sudo fsck /dev/sdb2

After put the sdcard in the raspberry pi and enjoy :wink:

But I think Ubuntu mate mainteners have to do something for that !

2 Likes

It’s true that “dirty” shut downs like switching off the power instantly, improper power connection (do not use the USB power from a computer, for instance) or using poorly manufactured/faulty/damaged micro-SD cards will lead to corruption. If you have a Linux desktop nearby, a fsck would attempt to repair the filesystem. (You can always grab a copy of a live CD too)

The card reader or even the program used to flash the card under Windows may also be a factor of not writing to the card properly.Win32DiskImager should be good to go.

doing sudo fsck /dev/sdb2, i found that issue is there.
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
PI_ROOT contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
PI_ROOT: 183881/236176 files (0.2% non-contiguous), 851069/943360 blocks

Yes, my device is powered by usb. i have connected my device to my TV USB output.
how to come out of this issue, if there is power failure, i may end in this issue again.

is there any permanent solution to this issue.

Thanks for for all of your kind help.

1 Like

Yes, my device is powered by usb. i have connected my device to my TV USB output.

Plugging in there is the cause of corruption, since there generally isn’t adequate power in TV/Computer USB ports to power the Pi. It should get about 700mA but most USB ports in devices will be limited to 500mA, I believe.

The OpenELEC Raspberry Pi in my house kernel panicked at start up one day, as soon as it got it’s own power supply, those problems stopped.

I har that issue as well, Ubuntu mate blot op in emergency mode, I use the ctrl+d combination on the keyboard and seemed to do the trick.

Thanks aworan.
In my case,
fsck to ROOT partition shows there is corruption,and fix my problem.

here is the output:

fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
PI_ROOT contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. Fix? yes
Inode 315882 was part of the orphaned inode list. FIXED.

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

PI_ROOT: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
PI_ROOT: 243536/1950720 files (0.2% non-contiguous), 1914231/7851520 blocks

I have the same error. I’m trying to host a samba server. I cannot go to the default mode because the consolend doesn’t load. On another pi I tryed
Doing the fsck and it returned a error of a zero-byte partion. Oh and I used a adapter for microSD to usb. I can provide a image. It’s a pi 2 btw

works for my raspi 3

thank you

Hi All !
How can I do to have the root passwd in recovery mode ? The one I have in defauld mode don’t work in recovery mode .