How To Activate Ubuntu Login Sound

If like me, you like to have the Ubuntu login sound activated, here are a few simple steps to achieve just that.

This is for Ubuntu 20.04 (Mate). Should also work with 18.04!.

Open Control Center > Personal > Startup Applications and then click on "Add" and add the following 3 items in order:

Name: Gnome Login Sound
Command: /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
Comment: Play a sound at login

Once you have done that, simply click on "Save" and restart your PC with your speakers and sound level switched to "On" and see if it works.

I have done the above on Ubuntu Mate 20.04 and it works no problem!.

Restart after adding the command!.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY EXTRA SPACES BEFORE OR AFTER THE COMMAND WHEN YOU PASTE IT OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK!. :frowning:

Check the beginning and the end of the command:

Wrong!. :frowning:

Right!!. :smile:

If you are still having problems with your sound, try installing the following packages if not already installed (Open a terminal with: Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all sox paman

Paman is the Pulse Audio manager and Sox is the "Swiss Army Knife" of sound settings apparently!.

11 Likes

Out of curiosity is this the same startup sound that Ubuntu 7.xx etc had?

1 Like

I think so, it sounds like it!, I don’t think it ever changed; did it?. :smiley:

I’ve been using Ubuntu since version 4 or 5 and it was activated by default if I remember rightly!. :smiley:

1 Like

Not sure because I switched to Debian when Ubuntu 10.04 went EOL. Came back for MATE.

2 Likes

Did you try it and did it work for you?. :smiley:

I am about to do that right now

Hello there, I have tried this steps none of this works in Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 any suggestion?

Hi,

did you use this command in 15.10:

paplay /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/desktop-login.ogg

is there a tick in the box?, it works fine for me!. :smiley:

Hello Mrs. Wolfman thanks for the trick it’s working flawless so far.

1 Like

Mrs Wolfman?, I’ve been called many things but never a Mrs!. :smiley: If you want to be formal, its Mr Wolfman to you!. :smiley: (Only joking by the way, I really am a man!). :smiley:

Thanks for the correction I’m in my way to learning English (English is no my first language), but thanks anyway.

1 Like

Not a problem Topgun, I am an English speaker and live in Germany so I deal with 2 languages on a daily basis, I only recently passed my B2 German test after living here for more than 30 years!. :smiley:

Congratulations!!! for your B2 test my friend I just moved recently in USA about 3 months

1 Like

Good luck to you and your family in your new home!. :smiley:

@wolfman, I would love to have a login sound... :grinning: I've done it all, as I understand to; but nothing yet. :confounded: [quote="wolfman, post:1, topic:677"]
simply click on "Save" and restart your PC with your speakers and sound level switched to "On"
[/quote]

I have 15.10, so I inputted the 15.10 command, of course. Can you suggest what I may have missed? Below, is what I have done; perhaps, it is just something that I am messing up. Please advice

Thanks!

I also love to have login sound and was really happy when I found this a while back :grin: [quote=“mated, post:15, topic:677”]
I would love to have a login sound… :grinning: I’ve done it all, as I understand to; but nothing yet. :confounded:
[/quote]

Maybe it has something to do with your sound settings? Do you have volume set high enough? I notice that if I have volume set more on the low scale I can’t hear it, even if some other stuff like music are OK to listen to later on without any changes, if that makes sense?

1 Like

Have you checked in Sound Settings > System Sounds that it is not set to “Mute”?. :smiley:

1 Like

@ele, yes, it makes perfect sense! :laughing:[quote="wolfman, post:17, topic:677, full:true"]
Have you checked in Sound Settings > System Sounds that it is not set to "Mute"?
[/quote]

So, @wolfman, this the deal (possibly) then: my Alert volume has never stayed up past zero - since the 15.10 installation. The regular output volume always stays where I put it; but just as soon as I close my sound settings, the Alert volume goes back to zero. I have never had Alert volume on mute either... ever... because I have been trying to get some sound in that arena. Just like @ele was saying: "stuff like music are OK to listen to;" it is only Alert volume that does this.

Could this be why your login sound is not working for me? If so, what now? I wish for the Alert volume to behave, either way. :dizzy_face:

Thanks Guys! :sweat_smile:

[Edit] Also, when I change the alert sounds from default to another - it goes back to default every time I close it

Hi mated/ele,

try installing the following packages if not already installed:

sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all sox paman

Paman is the Pulse Audio manager and Sox is the "Swiss Army Knife" of sound settings apparently!.

Also make sure you don't have any extra spaces before or after the command by checking the beginning and the end of the command:

Wrong!. :frowning:

Right!!. :smile:

1 Like

That’s great, @wolfman! :smile:

I have to run now; so I’ll get to this in 6 to 8 hours; it will be nice to have the login sounds and other sound tools.

Thanks!