How to install Java-based Chinese language learning program Hanzi Helper?

I have used a wonderful, little program called Hanzi Helper for learning, organizing and printing Chinese characters on a Windows laptop. Is there any way I can get it to run on Ubuntu MATE 16.04? It is Java-based and can be found here.

See http://hanzihelper.sourceforge.net/help.html I read the “Running section”

I have java installed (to test, “java -version” would say java version “1.7.0_101” or similar). I d/l the hanziHelper_1.0 jar file, made it executable (chmod +x hanziHelper_1.0.jar), then right click on it, open with OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime and it started. It created a file hanzihelper.properties in my home dir.

I do not speak Chinese … this is the help I can provide so far.

Thanks for your help but unfortunately this sounds more difficult to me than Chinese. Is there an easy way to do this?

It's really not that difficult. Please replace username below with your actual username :slight_smile:

Download the program hanziHelper_1.0.jar from sourceforge and note where you put it. I downloaded it to /home/username/Documents/hanzihelper

Open mate-terminal and do the following steps

cd Documents/hanzihelper
chmod a+x hanzihelper1_0.jar

Now you can close the Terminal. Fire up caja and navigate to Documents/hanzihelper. Right-click on the program and choose "Open With OpenJDK Java 8 runtime". If you use java 7 runtime it should say "Open With OpenJDK Java 7 runtime".

BTW I know there was an error notice :slight_smile: but that message wasn't for Hanzi Helper.

1 Like

I just tried all this but nothing is happening. These are the steps I have taken:

1. I downloaded this file from Hanzi Helper's sourceforge page:

2. I verfied the downloaded file through the terminal:

3. I typed these commands into the terminal:

4. After this nothing happened and I got this error message when right-clicking on the file and trying to Open With OpenJDK Jave 8 Runtime or Open With OpenJDK Jave 9 Runtime:

What am I doing wrong? What do the commands cd and chmod a+x mean?

I tried it again on another laptop, opened a terminal containing the Download folder and typed this into the terminal:
chmod a+x hanziHelper_1.0.jar
This time I didn't get an error message, but it seems that nothing happened. I am not sure if I have Java installed on my laptop and how to do this. Perhaps it is related to this?

Try:

java -jar hanziHelper_1.0.jar

Thanks! The application started through this terminal command. How come the other option doesn’t work for me? I noticed that I do not have Open With OpenJDK Java 8 Runtime in the context menu. Is it related to this?