How to install Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1 LTS on external SSD and run it from USB on Raspberry Pi 4

I tried to install Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS on SSD and run it from USB on Raspberry Pi 4. Several times. Without Success. I was quite disappointed since I already run Ubuntu Mate on RPI but from microSD card. Even copied the whole system to flash drive through Imager and run it from USB. But I haven't noticed any significant changes in speed.
Then I decided to try an SSD. But every time after copying the image to SSD (from different systems) it refused to start. After some research I find out that only Ubuntu 20.10 is capable to run from USB. So I flashed the Ubuntu Mate 20.10 image to the SSD and successfully run it. Luckily welcome screen informed me that 20.10 is not supported anymore and asked if I want to upgrade to 20.04. After install and restart I successfully run Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS from SSD.
My RPI 4 is overclocked to 2.1 GHz and runs very well Ubuntu Mate, so I decided to share this experience with anyone interested to run Ubuntu on this little computer.

1 Like

You can follow the corresponding guide, I have tested it on my RPi 4B with 4 Gb of RAM

1 Like

I tried what you suggested, downloaded the bootloader, but it's older than my current one.

CURRENT: Thu 29 Apr 2021 04:11:25 PM UTC (1619712685)
UPDATE: Thu 03 Sep 2020 12:11:43 PM UTC (1599135103)
BOOTFS: /boot

Do you suggest that Ubuntu 20.04 will run from USB on older bootloader? I tried 20.04. LTS on my current bootloader but it never started. That's why I did it the way described above. And it works..

1 Like