How to install VMWARE Vmplayer or VirtualBox

How do I install Vmware Vmplayer workstation or the the regular Vmplayer if there is more then one version on Ubuntu 16.04 64-Bit ? I tried installing VMware-Player-6.0.6-2700073.x86_64.bundle and it went through the install process with no errors and when I tried to run it it never came up, it just made the processing icon wheel thing spin but never came up and did not pop up an error message.

Hello

Are you trying vmware for the first time? I ask because Mate has made it easy to install VirtualBox using the Welcome Center.

1 Like

But I want Vmware Vmplayer because it’s 64-bit and I think VirtualBox is 32-bit it says platform 32-bit 64-bit arch power PC because I thinks it’s just 32-bit and will run on all those platforms right or does it detect your platform and install the appropriate version? I installed it from Software Center and not The Welcome Screen.

This might help you a little?:

https://wiki.debian.org/VMware

I went to the Software Tab on the Welcome Screen and Found Virtual Box and when it was installing it showed amd64 in the terminal window so maybe the one in Software Center was the 32-bit version only and the one in the Welcome Screen installs the appropriate version for what ever system it is being installed on.

There’s two versions of VirtualBox, the open source one and Oracle’s.

Software Centre / Synaptic install the open source version from the Ubuntu repository. The Software Boutique installs Oracle’s.

Both of them have packages for both 32-bit and 64-bit (i386 and amd64) so I’m not sure about it being 32-bit only.

As for VMWare Player, I haven’t seen or tried that in a long while. If you run it in the terminal, you may see some error details, it’s probably missing some dependencies, but no surprise as it’s not a package.

1 Like

I don’t normally download programs directly from sites, in this case I found installing Virtual Box directly from Oracle simplified the confusion about 32 vs 64 bit. both versions are listed

Ubuntu 16.04 (“Xenial”) i386 | AMD64

If you decide to go this route remember to also install VirtualBox 5.0.20 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack

Hi,

If I remember correctly, VMware Player 6 only works with kernels 3.16… and lower. You will need to install VMware Workstation Player 12 (free for non-commercial use) for use in Ubuntu MATE 16.04.

There seems to be some misunderstanding on Ubuntu Software Centre (USC), people mentioning VirtualBox x86 is 32bit only, in this case I believe x86 is a generalization of CPU architecture, meaning VirtualBox is compiled for Intel/AMD 32bit and 64bit (x86) type CPUs, rather than CPU architecture such as ARM, RISK, other.

If helpful, Oracle’s VirtualBox main binaries are also open source, VirtualBox Extension Pack is closed source.

2 Likes

Ubuntu Mate amd64 x86 VirtualBox

sudo apt install virtualbox virtualbox-ext-pack virtualbox-guest-additions-iso virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-source virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-qt virtualbox-source

Is It right?

On terminal as root:

sudo apt search virtualbox

you can choose a lot os stuff…