Howto: fixing some Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS issues

The newest Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS is released. It works and looks great. :mate: :ubuntu_mate: :green_heart:

Bugs

There are some bugs out of our control - for me the most horrible bugs are the following:

To fix the 1922276 bug one can use 20.04 LTS's VTE library from my PPA as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nrbrtx/vte
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and then be able to to select all terminal output with full scroll-back in MATE Terminal and other VTE-based terminals as it is expected.

Note: if you have any problems with the packages from above PPA, you can downgrade the packages by running sudo apt-get install ppa-purge; sudo ppa-purge ppa:nrbrtx/vte and continue to use VTE-based terminals with bug 1922276.

To fix the 1926256 bug one can use the following one liner for current user

echo "set enable-bracketed-paste Off" > ~/.inputrc

and then enjoy traditional copy-paste behavior in the terminal.

Three other bugs are 1922414, 1955135 and 1955136. They break normal Xsession initialization and fill the ~/.xsession-errors with the following error messages :

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources: line 16: has_option: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/75dbus_dbus-launch: line 9: has_option: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent: line 9: has_option: command not found

Local fix for for these 3 bugs can be applied by executing long command below to re-add missing has_option function:

cat <<\EOF | sudo tee /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20x11-add-hasoption
# temporary fix for LP# 1922414, 1955135 and 1955136 bugs
# read OPTIONFILE
OPTIONS=$(cat "$OPTIONFILE") || true

has_option() {
  if [ "${OPTIONS#*
$1}" != "$OPTIONS" ]; then
    return 0
  else
    return 1
  fi
}
EOF

and then reboot. This will allow ssh-agent to start and other necessary fixes.
Note: if you have any additional issues caused by adding above file - please feel free to remove it by sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20x11-add-hasoption and inform me about this problem.

Workarounds and fixes

Libssl1.1

Some applications are not yet ready for work with new set of packages which is shipped with 22.04 LTS. For example it is known that libssl1.1 is now removed in favor of OpenSSL 3.0. To fix this issue one can add my PPA to the system using below commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nrbrtx/libssl1
sudo apt-get update

and then install single libssl1.1 package by sudo apt-get install libssl1.1 to satisfy dependencies of some application.

Note: above is not an issue for RStudio anymore, they have released correctly packaged version for Jammy.

Traditional Themes

It is already known that there is some disappointment about new default Yaru-MATE themes.
This is really fixable (thanks to lah7!) by using theme packages from special PPA as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lah7/ambiant-mate
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ambiant-mate-colours-all

and then select needed theme in MATE Control Center β†’ Appearance.

Note: one can also install mate-themes package to get traditional MATE themes installed.

Non-snap web-browsers

Ubuntu MATE Welcome Software Boutique allows one to install Firefox ESR or other deb-packaged browsers at one click.

8 Likes

Thank you for all these pointers. I am facing the same and other issues as described under Timeframe for β€œcleanup” of the 22.04 clean LTS, and am moving on in resolving with my fresh install of UbuntuMate 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) Linux distribution (wiped out the entire disk before starting with the installation)

I can verify this, annoying but seems to be only cosmetic, but since the fix doesn't require a ppa for I'll give it a try. The other I've not encountered as I don't think I've ever done a "select all" in a terminal window