Installing Mate qemo virtual machine

Hello,

Finally made the switch from Win 7 to Mate 18.04.
Linux L-Mate 5.3.0-46-generic #38~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 31 04:17:56 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, long time Windows user, NOOB Linux user.

Haven't found a more appropriate thread to ask this question in so please suggest a better one if this one is not it.

Recently installed Mate 18.04 and shortly after, installed Virt-manager. I did get it working but somewhere along the way I did something (keystroke combination or installed something I shouldn't have) and now at my login screen I have an account for "libvirt qemu". I've read some threads here that seem to suggest a fix.

but honestly, as a NOOB Linux user it was not very clear what I needed to do. I believe the answer lies within that post but not sure exactly where. So I figured I should ask the Mate community to get clarity on how to proceed.

Saw in the other post that this would be helpful
-Mate:~$ grep libvirt-qemu /etc/passwd
libvirt-qemu:x:64055:130:Libvirt Qemu,,,:/var/lib/libvirt:/usr/sbin/nologin

Is it just a matter of changing 64055 to 125? I'm competent enough to edit the file in nano but need to know specifically which file it is.

Or do I need to follow the steps outlined here (again not very clear)
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-change-user-group-uid-gid-for-all-owned-files/

Would prefer not to have to re-install.

Appreciate the help.

Subrag

As this following article suggests, you need to edit your /etc/lightdm/users.conf and add "libvirt-qemu" to the "hidden-users" variable:

[UserList]
minimum-uid=500
hidden-users=nobody nobody4 noaccess libvirt-qemu libvirt-dnsmasq
hidden-shells=/bin/false /usr/sbin/nologin

Once you did that, you need to reboot to apply changes

====

btw, if for some reason it didn't work, likely you have the AccountsService installed in your system, so, for hide your user, you need to create a new file with the account name you want to hide in /var/lib/AccountsService/users/ directory. You can do this by opening an terminal and executing "nano /var/lib/AccountsService/users/libvirt-qemu" (note that im creating a new file inside the "users" directory using as name the username i want to hide)

And then add these two lines:

[User]
SystemAccount=true

Then save your file pressing CTRL + X, confirm your changes, reboot your computer and the user will be hidden from your login screen and Users and Groups section in Control Panel.

PANCHO7532

Ok, after going through your steps outlined above, I did have to add the libvirt-qemu file to the AccountsService directory. Once I did that, that got rid of the libvirt-qemu login account on the login screen.

Thanks for the help! On to the next tweak
Subrag