Installing virtual machine for mate 16.04

Right, sorted the problem with USB.

For some reason beyond me, adding the user via the user and groups GUI is not working at the moment, At least for Virtual Box. However, doing it the traditional way via the terminal does work.

Open a terminal and type the following:

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers user

Where"user" is your actual user name

So, for example, mine would be:

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers stephen

Then log out of Ubuntu Mate and then log back in. Then open Virtualbox, fire up your VM and right click the blue usb icon at the bottom right of your VM window. You should see your peripheral USB device listed. However, let me know if not.

Sorry no joy, first problem, It doesn't know Fred, only fred:

Second problem, it doesn't know it is there supposedly:

Third, but it really does:
Can't get the picture, haven't figured out how to set hot keys in shutter yet.
But 5 devices show up with the USB as one of them.

Got the screen shot I wanted that was missing:

Second one down is the USB

Did you log out and then back in Fred? I am unsure if you have succeeded there or not. Can you confirm? Additionally, I have just done another vid showing how to do it. See below:

Yep, numerous times, even shut down the whole computer.
I think the problem is different than you are looking for.
Back in 57, I showed the system could see the device, but I didn't know I had to click on it.
That doesn't make any difference, because now that I did, I still can not "see" the device.
Look at the screen shot left side and you can see that it is not listed. I can't get to it.
I can't use it to transfer files into or out of the W7 VB.

Here is another shot of disk management:

this is a usb stick, right?

If so, what is it formatted as currently? If it is ext4 or some other Linux type of file system, MS Windows might not be seeing because of that. It that is the case, you can format the USB stick in Linux as fat 32, then fire up your VM again and connect the USB and see if MS windows can then see it.

If not, not a problem as I can show you another way to share files that does not require an external USB stick. You can directly share a host folder. But I will have to do that tomorrow cos I got to go to bed,

Yes, a USB stick. It is formatted and running under Windows.
UM can see it and shows all the files. In fact when VB starts up and I select it, it disappears from the UM desktop.
I am using PRO, you are using Home or something else. Could that be the difference?
See you tomorrow. I will get up early and let you know I am here.

@stevecook172001

Morning Steve,

You sure are going the extra mile helping me at 1am your time.
I really appreciate this.
************ Ignore all this I found the problem in message 64 ***************
Food for thought.
Below are two screen shots that show VB is aware of the USB stick, but it is not passing the information to W7, which I showed you in message 60 using the disk management screen.

@stevecook172001

Could this be the problem? It is not using USB 2 and the stick is.
And that turned out to be the problem, you have to select which USB 1,2 or 3 FIRST and then it finds it.

OLD

NEW

Meanwhile I have installed one of my wireless printers in W7
Just need to get the installation file for the other.
First I need to make sure there isn't a Linux one.
Life is getting better.

Hi Fred. Glad to see you got the USB stick issue sorted. Please also see below for video of how to share folders:

1 Like

I mentioned this a good while back on the instructions to set up your USB device on VirtualBox, Fred.

Glad it is working now :slight_smile:

Yeh, about 30 messages ago and I TOTALLY missed it, what a bone head mistake :frowning: Unfortuneatly it won’t be the last, knowing me :slight_smile:

My machine has 4 USB ports, 2 ea 2.0 and 2 ea 3.0 and I have probably five different mnfgs of sticks.

Do I need to populate each port with each different stick and repeat the process or just each port according to its speed with an appropriate stick?

Promise to read more carefully everybody :slight_smile: Thanks

Ah, both a sooth sayer and a Lunix wizard at once :slight_smile:
Thanks, Steve that is where I am heading today.

I also found instructions on Askubuntu on how to install my wifi laser printer, which will be another task for today.

Thanks again for all the late hours you have been spending with me. Hopefully you can get back to your redecorating :slight_smile:

Afternoon Steve,

Thanks for another great video, just did it and everything worked as promised.
Off to Southern California to visit our son for 10 days.
Catch up with you when I get back.

Cheers, Fred

2 Likes

Something that i came across recently to watch out for - my BIOS had virtualization disabled. That screwed some things up until someone here helped me diagnose that the problem was in my BIOS virtualization setting.

Thanks @larryb, Everything is working fine thanks to all the excellent videos that Steve provided and the other help provide by the others.

Cheers, Fred

1 Like

Hi Fred :slight_smile:

So are you ready to mark this as solved (by checking the solution)?

Totally forgot to do that. So many new things to learn. Thanks for the reminder.
Moving on learning lots.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: U-Mate virtual machine