Is Ubuntu MATE missing any essential applications?

These are the ones that I miss:

1. DeaDBeeF - lightweight music player, looks like foobar2000 on windows, i don’t like Rhythmbox
  2. qBittorrent - IMHO, best torrent client, looks like utorrent on windows, i don’t like Transmission, too many missing features
  3. htop
  4. Some small games - i remember that some were included in older buntu releases
1 Like

Timeshift - makes manual or automated system snapshots allowing an instant rollback in case of problems. Saved me many times - even today when an update broke virtualbox.

Gnome Encfs Manager. See:
http://www.libertyzero.com/GEncfsM/

Clear simple GUI using encfs that is ideal for encrypting contents of Dropbox and similar cloud services. Local transparent encryption of each individual file before sending it to Dropbox (unlike Truecrypt). Settings are remembered and automated with small key icon in panel. Works well on ubuntu mate.

Works equally well with Google Drive (if using Insync on linux).

D.

1 Like

I agree. I have a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Mate that I am using solely as a file/media server and music player. I started using Ubuntu in 2009 and switched to Linux Mint KDE in 2012. Despite this, I still consider myself a noobie because I prefer a GUI interface and avoid the command line as much as possible. I tried Raspbian, Open ELEC, OSMC, and many other OSes, finally settling on Ubuntu Mate because of my familiarity with Ubuntu and Mint, and I could easily install Samba and VNC easily from the Software Center or Synaptic. I only use Rhythmbox, Terminal, Firefox (only to easily cut and paste code into the terminal) for installing other apps and Caja. I don’t need the other applications such as LibreOffice, Thunderbird, etc… because they are on my Linux Mint laptops.

Not really that important in the overall scheme of things, but I prefer good old Xscreensaver.

If you want, xscreensaver can be added.

1 Like

I like the VLC player that plays all formats and is simple, but I’ve never been able to properly install the packages needed to play bluray, it is interesting that VLC is complete.I also install qBittorrent for downloads, Kaffeine to watch TV and telegram as messenger.

1 Like

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 comes with all the BluRay libraries VLC requires. You have to provide keys, but maybe Ubuntu MATE Welcome will have a button for that soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Automatic Password Generator (apg) is a useful small command line application. Great for generating complex passwords with ease, here’s an ease of use example.

Terminal:

apg -a1 -m24

-a Algorithm used (0/1) default is 0 pronounceable passwords
-m Minimum password length

1 Like

This sounds like it could also be used like pwgen.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/pwgen.1.html

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing GIMP being installed by default.

Hi,

Haven’t seen here yet (maybe my mistake) but a notification applet such as in Unity and XFCE (Xubuntu) have, where to find Thunderbird notifications, and rrs notifications could be very useful !
I use Liferea keep in Plank dock and FireTray for Thunderbird but i feel like “it takes space” (?)
If those things where in one place then, maybe … more useful to get news about mails and social networking stuff.
Anyway sorry for my english who’s not so “fluidly” and cool.
Thanks to the team

If you mean the “messaging menu” indicator, I believe it is Gtk3-only, so it doesn’t work with the current, Gtk2-only MATE panel. Once the MATE panel is using Gtk3, which is on the roadmap, it should work.

Thanks for that info ! But it could be nice stuff.

Hi
I’ve just installed Ubuntu Mate I think it looks great, I’m really happy with it so far.

To answer this topic’s question, I was surprised when I couldn’t find any calendar app, preferable with Google calendar synchronization. I think that’s the only essential “standard” application that I’m missing for my daily and basic use.

1 Like

I found that the Thunderbird version that comes pre-installed provided a method to use my Google calendar, which btw is also accessed by my iPhone - so no matter which device I’m using I always have the same calendar

3 Likes

Boomaga, i have a samsung ml-2165w. Boomaga is the excellent replacement to the propriety software that comes with it. the best part is it works with any printer for two sided printing and other features. to me this is an essential application.

Hallo

I installed boomaga with Synaptic. I can’t get it to run. It produces one “permission denied” message after another. Could you explain what you have to do to get this interesting software to work? :slight_smile:

Hi @alpinejohn,

try adding their PPA?:

https://launchpad.net/~boomaga/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from HardInfo benchmarking tool not installed by default:
I guess this topic refers to software to be installed by default. Is there any particular reason why the HardInfo benchmarking tool was not installed by default? I found it extremely helpful for testing a laptop and quickly getting an overview over what kind of hardware is built in via live USB before an actual installation. What do you guys think? Is there any other program installed by default in UM that I overlooked?