Issues with video freezing fullscreen (youtube, vimeo, kodi media center, vlc, etc)

Hello Ubuntu MATE community!
I am currently running Ubuntu 16.04 MATE x64 on my HP laptop.
I have been trying to solve different issues throughout the last 3 weeks with Ubuntu, but I have been unable to do so. Most of the issues I can live with, but I can’t get over this problem. I like to watch videos via youtube, facebook, kodi media center, and others. It’s unpredictable when it will happen, but the video will freeze, mouse will stop working and everything just freezes during videos. I usually watch my videos fullscreen, but I’ve tried not running them in fullscreen and I still have the freezing issue.
I have tried Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu MATE, Linux Mint, but they have all had this issue. I’ve tried upgrading the Linux kernel and a lot of other things that I’ve read on forums but I can’t even remember. If you have any tips or tricks for solving this please let me know! I’m trying to switch from Windows 10 to using Linux as my main OS and it’s been hard but I am determined to make this work.

Here is my video card information from lspci
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display (rev 0c)
T

Hi
Probably item #3 on this thread:

Check your processor model with inxi -C, and check intel’s website to see if it’s a BayTrail model.
The Z36XX etc graphics is usually the graphics for BayTrails.

1 Like

That’s exactly it. I have an Intel BayTrail processor. I had even read the common issues, but I did not read it clearly and just skimmed through it. That did fix my issue with random lockups and freezes and it solved some other issues. Thank you so much for the quick reply and fix for me! This is a huge help and I’m glad to be running Ubuntu MATE as my main OS

1 Like

Please, select ouroumov answer as your solution.