Just did the upgrade to 17.10

Just finished the upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10. Had no problems at all! Well one problem, The Bo is mangled when I open Software Boutique. :smiley:

Hmmm...

Of course, my brother installed his fresh, and doesn't have this on his. It looked normal before. :wink:

Just upgraded.

Got a cracklib-runtime issue. Everything stalled. Had to re-start…but it went into a loop. I did refresh the grub and then it re-booted. Had then to re-start/finish install.

I had English and Canadian multilingual - it still shows as there when looking in at the keyboard preference. The icon (that I just had to click to switch between them) doesn’t show any more in the top panel. Don’t know any other way how to switch to Canadian multilingual.

Addendum: After 3 re-boot the language feature of the keyboard preference appears to work. Why 3 re-boot ? No idea. The switch-language button is back on the panel.
Thunderbird: I was in a 24hrs mode. I went back the US way with 12hrs/am-pm mode. Will have to remember how to get it back.

Hello from Germany,

I can confirm what Watford wrote.

• cracklib-runtime issue - but I clicked the “Close” button until the Upgrade routine continued
  • keyboard language indicator - re-booted 4-5 times until the indicator was shown in the “system tray”
  • some fonts were not available at the upgrade time for download (“No internet connection” - but I was browsing all the time) - were downloaded after the 3rd reboot but the error message was still shown; after the next reboot, no more information dialog-box about the missing fonts

Thank you so much for Ubuntu MATE !
It runs on my main PC since August.2016 and I’m very happy switching to Ubuntu MATE from Win10.

Kind Regards,
Mihai

1 Like

Unfortunately I had this to on a system I upgraded. (New install worked flawlessly). Mine boot-looped and wouldn’t come back up even after a hard reset, so I booted with a usb stick and manually upgraded, overwriting the previous install. Not perfect, and had to reinstall apps, but thankful it didn’t completely hose the system.

That’s weird, I had the same issue with the same message, when I tried closing it, it kept popping up continually, - just wouldn’t go away. :frowning:

Yes, the message box continued to pop up, but I really clicked many-many-many times until it finally disappeared and the Upgrade routine continued.
Was afraid that rebooting while the Upgrade routine was running could lead in a total disaster. I would have continued clicking the button for another 5 minutes before giving up and perform a hard reboot followed by a clean install :slight_smile:
Anyway, I will do a clean install of Ubuntu MATE 17.10 the next days / weeks, but yesterday I definitely was not prepared for doing so (even if I had up-to-date backups, it is still a pain having to fresh-install / restore the stuff).

Yep I rebooted because it looked stuck, and it hosed the system. Good call on continuing to click, after the 20th time I gave up. :smiley:

All working fine, but Caja hanging. Did repairs etc. and restart, but no good. Using Thunar as alternative.

Hmmm… just looked in my apt-term.log file and found this error message there.

Must have missed this during the update process. The ms fonts were already installed so they still work, but ended up removing the ttf-mscorefonts-installer to quit getting the pop up saying there was a problem while installing ttf-mscorefonts. Didn’t notice this yesterday because I had shut down after trying it awhile.

Update to the above:

Using English and Canadian multilingual. Each time I reboot the laptop I have to get into keyboard preference and remove/reinstall Canadian multilingual, so the switching icon can show in the top panel. System doesn’t seem to remember.

Thunderbird: before upgrade the calendar was on a 24h mode. Since upgrade into a 12h US style (am/pm) mode. Haven’t find a way to get it back as previous.

Space: After upgrade (using updater) root was 95% full. I just did these Terminal steps:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove and now I’m good - i.e. root back to 69% use
But it DOES mean that post-update clean-up DIDN’T work using the updater…or maybe was it just blocked some way by the other error I incurred (see above re: cracklib-runtime)

Having no idea of the ‘inner-works’ I can only talk about effect, not cause.

Same here. Got the cracklib issue and kept clicking until it went away and finished the installation. Wasn’t sure what to do, so started trying to clean out the system. Rebooted couple of times and even ran Bleachbit as root. Removed all the unused files left from old installation and it seems to be stable now. Did run into Vivaldi browser wanting to unlock keyring when it starts up, but fixed that and all seems well. I’m not an expert with Ubuntu Mate but on my old Intel Core Quad Q8200 it purrs like a kitten and usually doesn’t give me any issues. Also, I just upgraded my windows 10 machine to the latest version and had issues with that upgrade too. I guess any OS upgrade can hiccup, but unless something pops up later on this one, I’m going to call it a successful upgrade.

On my system resident where Windows also is, I had an odd error with cracklib-runtime but other than that I was able to perform sudo apt upgrade and get myself into a post-upgrade state with updated packages.

Note for next time: we need to include distribution upgrades in the tests we do before a release.

6 Likes

Am still on 16.04 and am hesitant to upgrade. This distro works all but flawlessly and I use it as my “workhorse” machine. It has all my data, all my shortcuts, etc. on it and I would be in deep doodoo if I mess this up beyond repair and have to do a clean install.
This leads me to another question. If I did want to wipe this disk (which is currently shared with Windows 7) and go all in on Mate, how would i do so and keep all my data? Just do like with windows and move it all to a usb disk before I proceed?

That, or have a separate home directory next time your install.

In fact, you can delete everything except for /home and after creating a new partition in its place, move all of its contents there before installation. I previously suggested to delete everything but /home and move the partition but that would take WAY longer.

With a separate / partition, sure you lose a little bit of flexibility, but you gain the capability to keep your stuff and your system in two separate regions in the same device.

There’s a report about the cracklib-runtime issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1725116

There’s a great backup solution called Deja-Dup (Duplicity) which I’ve used for a long while. It comes with Ubuntu Mate pre-installed, - I would recommend attaching an external drive and running a backup for all your content. It’s easy to use and comes with a straightforward wizard process. You can then run a restore for an occasion or location you need either from the app, or from the file manager if you want to restore a particular file or folder.

Backups are pretty much critical, Deja-Dup goes a long way to making sure this process happens seamlessly.

Update to the above:

Quite surprising… The basic LibreOffice shortcuts (ctrl-right, ctrl-shift-o, etc) don’t work… (!). If typing ctrl-shift-o…it goes for saving the document !
Didn’t touch a thing… just happen to be like this today…
Have to use the mouse and menu to achieve what needed.
re-boot didn’t help.
Now figure what means ‘unstable’.
Or is there any other explanation to shortcut simply Adisappearing ?

Addendum (25 oct 17): Another surprise. After another re-boot the shortcuts are now active…but I need to press ‘‘Shift’’ before pressing the Ctrl-o or Ctrl-arrow for it to work (which I did try before, mind you)…lets see if if sticks this time around.

I just looked, and lo and behold, I guess by default, I have Deja-Dup
and it is performing backups every week, the last one being 4 days ago.
It backs up the /home folder. I have an external drive already. So I
would do much like I would for a windows machine. Back up the folder to
the external, do the clean install and then restore to my new home folder?

Pretty much :slight_smile: It’s not something that is configured by default, so it must have been set up at some point post-installation.

Generally back up in triplicate for any critically important data. Local, off-site and cloud.