Lenovo Ideapad 20.04 upgrade distorted and unusable

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 130-15AST. So as not to bloat the thread I put the output of lshw in pastebin here:
https://pastebin.com/NMBigV4G

The above picture is what the MATE 20.04 live USB boots to.
I first upgraded from 18.04 using do-release-upgrade. The result looked like the photo as well.
Then I reinstalled 18.04, upgraded to 19.10, which looked and performed normally. I then upgraded the 19.10 install to 20.04 with the same result as the photo.
I also tried with a different flash drive just to rule that out.

Then I made the live USB of the 20.04 image and booted it to what you see above.
I made a live USB of both Stock Ubuntu and Kubuntu 20.04 and both worked just fine.

Until I tried the other two flavors I was thinking it was system specific, but after they worked normally it seems to be a MATE specific issue with this system.

It appears to be only a display problem. The DE is completely unusable with the mouse, but I can launch a terminal and run commands, although the terminal is just as distorted as the photo above, so you can't see what you are typing or the resulting output.

Is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot this issue to determine if it's a problem with that laptop or something with MATE itself on this hardware configuration?

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: 20.04 Display issues with AMD RX560