Lost all panels and icons

So I just did a fresh install of 18.04.1. On my first boot, the first thing I did was go into Mate Tweak. Changed to traditional panel, and then all my panels went blank. So now I can boot to 18.04, but the screen is totally blank. There is a top and bottom panel, but nothing is there. What can I do, re-install?

1 Like

OK, I fixed it, I think. I did alt-f2, typed mate-tweak (as a guess) and got back mate tweak. After cycling through several panels, the traditional panel finally worked. As I was cycling, the other panels were blank as well. Not until I tried Mutiny did any icons appear, Then I selected Traditional again.

1 Like

@jaybo
Thanks for saving me. I just did the same thing and used your recovery trick.
Did you report this as a bug?
Can’t believe we are the only two people that use traditional.

The irony is that during the slide show that runs while installing it shows the Traditional Screen and then the next slide shows using MATE-Tweak to select it. A little backwards, but…

I reported this as a bug at 8:09AM PDT 10/18/218

Let me guess you have an old hdd? In over 500 installs from when we had this feature available i only encounter it only 10 times max. If it’s a not so easy to reproduce the bug it’s harder to know what’s the problem. From what i know is that this problem happens after a fresh install of the os.

Nope,
PNY CS1311 240GB SSD (CS131122)

@APolihron
Nope
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB EMT03B6Q
I go fix the bug report, sorry, Fred

I saw this issue when I was making a pending change to MATE-tweak. It seemed to be random. It either happened on the first layout I switched to or a couple dozen later. It wasn’t just Traditional either. From what I remember it happened when switching to Netbook, Cupertino, Familiar as well. I do know that it always happened when switching to a stock layout.

I did see a couple times that GTK errors were printed just before MATE-tweak crashed but I didn’t have the presence of mind to send the output to a log. I’ll do some testing this weekend to see if I can get some outputs that could be usable. I’ll also add some of the info I provided here to the launchpad bug.

@ilostmykeys88
I never successfully submitted a bug report, so I hope you do.
I am new and all the instructions they told me to follow led to a dead end.
The last one is below and I don't know what to do with that answer.

i realy don't know what are you selecting but on my end everything works as intended

Are you using a 3rd-party repo that updates some MATE packages? I think WebUpd8 has one and there might be others. It’s very unlikely that they update MATE Tweak but better check just in case…

If not, are all the main Ubuntu repos still enabled? You can check this in Softwares & Updates. You should have the four repos in the first tab (main, universe, restricted, multiverse) eventually Partner in the second tab (though MATE Tweak is not in Partner), the three repos in the third tab (security, updates, backports) and avoid the one in the last tab (Proposed).

I believe the issue maybe random. I know with me it happened immediately after a fresh install. The first thing I did on the initial reboot of the fresh install was to go to Mate-Tweak and change the panel. That is when I lost all panels. Since getting the panels to restore, I have changed panels several times with no issues.